Intel 82566DM nic not working

Johnny Ljunggren

I've got a Intel Q965 System board equipped with a Marvell 88E805 and a Intel 82566DM onboard ethernet controller. The Marvell is configured as it should, but I am unable to get the Intel one configured.

Running lshw -C network shows a Intel 82566DC (not DM) as UNCLAIMED and thus no driver or ethernet device connected. From what I gather this NIC should use the e1000e driver, but even if I add alias eth0 e1000e to modprobe.conf the nic remains unconfigured (have tried other ethX as well).

Interestingly Ubuntu 9.04 works, so it seems there is something wrong with the hardware detection setup on Mandriva. I have tested this on Mandriva 2008.0 and 2009.1 and they show the same thing.

I've also downloaded the e1000e source code and built and installed the driver, but no joy. By cat'ing the correct file in /proc I can see that the latest e1000e is loaded.

Any pointers?

regards

Johnny

lspci -vv on Mandriva 2009.1 showed 'Kernel Modules: e1000e' but there was no line with kernel drivers in use, as with the other working NIC's. (output attached at the end)

Another weird thing is that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent_net.rules show a MAC address for this device, but it is not the correct one - 00:13:20.F5:F9:32 vs 00:01:29:21:2A:BF.

To add to this when I boot Ubuntu the mac address attached to this nic is 00:00:08:00:02:88 - obviously wrong, but working! - I can set the ip address and ping the attached switch.

Ubuntu show both Kernel Modules and Kernel drivers in use as e1000e.

# cat /sys/module/e1000e/version

show 0.3.3.3-k6 on both Mandriva and Ubuntu.

lspci output on Mandriva 2009.1:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0000

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20

Region 0: Memory at fdfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 1: Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 2: I/O ports at ff00

Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-

Address: 00000000fee0f00c Data: 41a1

Kernel modules: e1000e

lspci output on Ubuntu 9.04:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0000

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 2299

Region 0: Memory at fdfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 1: Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 2: I/O ports at ff00

Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+

Address: 00000000fee0f00c Data: 41c1

Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Kernel modules: e1000e

If you do:

ifconfig -a

does it show this interface as being active and ready just without an IP? Perhaps try assigning an IP address manually, and then see if you can ping the networks - of course, keep this in the same IP range as what you use, and ensure the address you assign is free. It will require you also know what the subnet mask is, but you can find this out from a machine that is working. For example, a 192.168.1.x IP range with a 24 bit or 255.255.255.0 subnet mask can be assigned like this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50/24

then try and ping the default gateway, if it's 192.168.1.1 or whatever you have configured from a machine that's working. If unsure, post the info here, and we can help you configure it and see if it works. If it doesn't work after this, then the module compiled within the kernel doesn't support your card - despite it being loaded and you'll probably have to wait for a newer release unless of course you have the newest released compiled which is what is installed and working under Ubuntu or whatever you tested before.

Thanks for the input. I had already tried this, but apparently failed to mentioned this in my previous messages. I think I've tried most things I normally do when trouble shooting stuff like this. This time it seems to be a Mandriva fault, not a configuration fault.

ifconfig ethX <ip address> gives:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

When using the network panel (gui style) the nic is listed, but when I click Configure I get:

Unable to find network interface for selected device (using e1000e driver)