installing non-rpm programs

kilimanjaro

It actually siad that installation was successful.  I messed around with it until something happened.

How can I tell if it is actually working?

When I use openoffice it still says it is the 1.0.2 version.

I had the same thing happen with gnutella where I installed the latest version, but there doesn't seem to be any difference and the version number hasn't changed.

you prolly still have the old openoffice rpms from mandrake installed. To run 1.1 go to the openoffice directory in your home folder. anf the setup pdf is supposed to be real good. at least that's what i hear

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how to start it.

It went through the big install where I registered, but its instructions I don't understand.

Specifically page 31 of the pdf.

Change to the {installpath}/program directory, or to the local OpenOffice.org directory in your home directory, and type: ./soffice You can also add the {installpath}/program directory to the program path, and then type "soffice" in any directory to start OpenOffice.org. To set up the default printer for OpenOffice.org, call the spadmin Printer Administration Utility, as is described in the Appendix. After completing the installation process under the Solaris OE, log out and log in again to update the CDE integration.

I don't understand what it is telling me to do.

Hi, kilimanjaro...

Almost a year ago I was a total newbie, very nontechie, and totally clueless. So I understand your curiosity and confusion.

If you are using the menu or a shortcut that is in your original setup, it will point to the original version of OpenOffice, which is located in a different place and was not uninstalled.

To open up the new version 1.1, you will have to make a shortcut on your desktop (or panel) that will point to it.

Near the end of my previous post I give some very simple and specific directions of how to make a shortcut to the desktop for opening up OpenOffice like it does in Windows.

Follow those directions and you'll have a nice and handy shortcut to open up all the programs that come in OpenOffice, as well as files, templates, etc. I wrote the steps very simply and clearly on how to add the shortcut.

(Note: OpenOffice doesn't come with many templates, but you can download some from www.ooextras.org. However, I haven't done so and don't know how to put them in OpenOffice. Maybe someone else can help here with that.)

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Richard L.

to use the templates at OOextras, you can put them several places, actually.

in your home directory, you put templates in the OpenOffice1.1 folder->user->template. you can also put them in OpenOffice1.1->share->template. you can also do that in the main install folder for OOo, (like /usr/lib or where ever your main OOo folder is installed to) but if you do that & install a newer version, they'll get wiped out. if you put them in the /home OOo folder, they will stay intact during upgrade installs.

if you want to organize them, you can either use OOo file->templates->organize. or, if you create individual folders in the template folders (for example, such as "art" "drawings", etc.....) those folders will show up as you created them when you browse templates in OOo.

what i did, was downloaded the all of the OOoextras templates, unzipped it & it creates a folder called "downloads". inside that are various folders, each with different templates inside them. i weeded out what i didn't want, then just copied those folders into the "template" folders.

don't know if that's the "preferred" method, but it worked for me.

Chris

kilamanjaro, I don't know how much help I can be because I don't have that version of OO installed but from reading the docs it looks like it installs in /opt so try looking in that directory. In order to change the entries in the menu to point to your new installation you can use menudrake. You can either open a console and type menudrake or you can go through the mandrake control center. Once you've got it open scroll down to Office and find your OO programs, click on them and where it says command type your path to the executable. i.e. /opt/oomath (or whatever it is). Do that for each entry and then click save and your menu will be updated.