installing non-rpm programs

kilimanjaro

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

killimanjaro:

I'm also running flux and have just intalled tar.gz oo 1.1 file. If you want to call oo through the menu, you have to edit the following file:

/home/username/.fluxbox /menu

Add the red line to menu file and restart flux:

[submenu] (Office)

[exec] (xclock) {xclock}

[exec] (gcalc) {gnome-calculator}

[exec] (Open Office) {soffice}

[exec] (Mr.Project) {mrproject}

[exec] (xpdf) {xpdf}

[exec] (Open Office) {soffice}

I had do delete previous oowriter, ooimpress, oowhatever. I was able to find its binaries but unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Anyway, add the line above to call the suite and choose wich application you want to use.

Good Luck!!

I'm glad that you have it almost all working for you in fluxbox, kilimanjaro.

It would have been very helpful to all of us, and saved us a lot of time, if you had mentioned that you were trying to do this in fluxbox at the beginning of your thread.

Each desktop environment and window manager works differently in linux. It is quite rare for a new linux user to be using fluxbox. Usually they start out with either KDE or Gnome, and so it was a natural assumption on my part that you could figure out what to do in the Konqueror file manager (using KDE).

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Richard L.

don't know if this applies to Flux, since i use KDE, but to run the other OOo programs, just add the letter "s" instead of "oo" in front the command.......

swriter

simpress

smath

scalc

etc.......

for some reason they changed that stuff along the way somewhere.

Chris

when I originally started this thread it was simply about installing the files and I am pretty sure some where back there I did mention I was using fluxbox, but I know it is a lot of stuff to sort through of couse maybe it was in another thread.

william

I used menudrake and it was very easy, mystified showed me how, and it can all be done with a gui

I used menudrake and it was very easy, mystified showed me how, and it can all be done with a gui

Today almost everything can be done from GUI, for bad or good.

But its always good to know what the GUI does, and thats what william just told you.

The MCC just edits that file, remember it, i used fluxbox until a week ago, when i switched to XFce4, i found editing $HOME/.fluxbox/menu was the easiest way of changing something in the right click menu, you dont have to wait until MCC loads neither go through all the clicking.

anyway, its the fast but not-so-easy way of doing it! hope you find it usufull soon.

note:

$HOME = /home/youruser/

is a defined variable in all systems (unless you change it)

don't know if this applies to Flux, since i use KDE, but to run the other OOo programs, just add the letter "s" instead of "oo" in front the command.......

swriter

simpress

smath

scalc

etc.......

for some reason they changed that stuff along the way somewhere.

Chris

Indeed I noticed that chris, but the problem is that when I type swriter, simpress or whatever at terminal prompt I got a bash error saying that the command was not found.

When I click on the executable file (default location ie: /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0) it opens the specific application (writer, calc, impress...). I've already checked permission issues, symlinked the files to my home dir (/home/OpenOffice), but everything was in vain, no success. Strange, but "soffice" command works and I have to choose which application I want to use.

william wrote:

but the problem is that when I type swriter, simpress or whatever at terminal prompt I got a bash error saying that the command was not found.

william.....

in order for those commands (soffice, scalc, etc.) to work from terminal, you need to cd to the OOo program directory. either your main install in /opt or the one in your /home will work. IE:

$ cd /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

or

$ cd /william/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

then try any of those commands. it'll work as long as your in the OOo program directory first. that's why you're getting the bash error.

Chris

william.....

in order for those commands (soffice, scalc, etc.) to work from terminal, you need to cd to the OOo program directory. either your main install in /opt or the one in your /home will work. IE:

$ cd /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

or

$ cd /william/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

then try any of those commands. it'll work as long as your in the OOo program directory first. that's why you're getting the bash error.

Chris

Yeah I've already done it, but that's what I get:

[william@poseidon program]$ cd /opt

[william@poseidon opt]$ cd OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

[william@poseidon OpenOffice.org1.1.0]$ cd program/

[william@poseidon program]$ swriter

-bash: swriter: command not found

[william@poseidon william]$ cd OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/

[william@poseidon program]$ swriter

-bash: swriter: command not found

In my home/william/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program dir I have only an "addin" empty folder. In home/william/OpenOffice.org.1.1.0 dir I do have a soffice symbolic link to /opt/OpenOffice.org.1.1.0/program/soffice(that's the reason soffice works when called in both dirs). Considering that I've already symlinked swriter, simpress, whatever to this dir, why do I get this sort of bash error?

Any comment or help will be very much appreciated.

You should just add the /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/ directory to your $PATH variable that way you can call the programs from anywhere.

type "echo $PATH" to see your current users path (where bash looks for commands to execute)

you should have a .bash_profile file in your home directory

heres mine:

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then

. ~/.bashrc

fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH

unset USERNAME

So to add you OO program directory to it you would change "PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to "PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program"

then you will be able to type swriter from anyway and get it to open. after logging out and back in again first.

You can add to your $PATH via the console like this:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

But that is only temporary editing your .bash_profile is perminent.

see the following url for more info

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bshell5.html

• 2 months later...