x11-driver-video-nvidia71.xx and 2009.1 [solved]

bamboccio

I believe that you have just been hit by the new xorg. According to this thread: nvnews.net/vbulletin

It appears that the 71xx series driver doesn't even support xorg-server 1.5.x, and Mandriva 2009.1 is using xorg-server 1.6.1.

I don't know what card you have, but you may have to use the nv driver.

I don't know what card you have, but you may have to use the nv driver.

I have a TNT2 card. I am using the free driver now but the screen is moved to the right and is not that nice :( It used to work with 2009.0 so I am really not sure what happened.

Thanks!

I have a TNT2 card. I am using the free driver now but the screen is moved to the right and is not that nice :( It used to work with 2009.0 so I am really not sure what happened.

Thanks!

I don't know why you are not seeing the 71xx driver but it's still available for Mandriva 2009.1. make sure you have the non-free repository configured in drakrpm.

See here:

ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/of...n-free/release/

File: nvidia71xx-kernel-desktop-latest-71.86.09-1.20090326.1mdv2009.1.i586.rpm	  3 KB	  23/04/09	  20:39:00
File: nvidia71xx-kernel-desktop586-latest-71.86.09-1.20090326.1mdv2009.1.i586.rpm 	3 KB 	23/04/09 	20:39:00
File: nvidia71xx-kernel-server-latest-71.86.09-1.20090326.1mdv2009.1.i586.rpm 	3 KB 	23/04/09 	20:38:00

Edit: hmm, I just noticed those are just the virtual packages that are supposed to link to the latest version, but the actual latest version packages are not there, this seems like an oversight to me, maybe you should open a bug report with mandriva: http://qa.mandriva.com

Edited by tux99

Apologies but I am not sure here why there is the need of a kernel, I was thinking I needed only the driver, ie aa package called

x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx and this is not there.

This is what I see in the current version of the driver...

This NVIDIA driver should be used with GeForce 6 and later cards, including the associated Quadro cards. For older cards, the packages x11-driver-video-nvidia96xx and x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx should be used instead...

Confused :(

Edited by bamboccio

Apologies but I am not sure here why there is the need of a kernel, I was thinking I needed only the driver, ie aa package called

x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx and this is not there.

This is what I see in the current version of the driver...

This NVIDIA driver should be used with GeForce 6 and later cards, including the associated Quadro cards. For older cards, the packages x11-driver-video-nvidia96xx and x11-driver-video-nvidia71xx should be used instead...

Confused :(

Nvidia and Ati binary drivers require several packages, one of them is the kernel modules I listed in my previous post.

You could open the bug with Mandriva as I suggested but I think Greg2 is right, the nvidia71xx is not compatible anymore with the latest xorg, there is likely nothing Mandriva can do about it apart from fixing the documentation.

You could get a second hand (usually very cheap, less than 10 Euros or Dollars) Nvidia FX5200 card, these are available for PCI and AGP, still well supported by the Nvidia driver (I know it because I have a FX5200 myself) and run fine on older PCs too, I have installed them successfully on ancient Pentium 3 machines, with Linux with no problems.

The FX5200 is quite a bit faster than your card too, so you will see a noticeable improvement too.

Else you will have to live with the opensource driver, or downgrade to 2009.0.

Edited by tux99

I can confirm that the 71XX series driver does not work with xorg-server 1.6.X

But you can use the new, opensource "nouveau" driver for nvidia cards, which (unless I'm missing something big) does work with these old nvidia cards, and (contrary to the xorg "nv" driver) does have hardware-supported 3D accelkeration. Of course it's still quite beta, so proceed carefully.

But IMHO tux99 is right: An FX5200 is certainly enough a sub-par performer, but you can get it dirt cheap, either as AGP or PCI bus. I have two of them (both AGP 8X) sitting idle, and I won't mind giving away one of them at just the cost of the mail expenses.

Edited by scarecrow

I have two of them (both AGP 8X) sitting idle, and I won't mind giving away one of them at just the cost of the mail expenses.

I would be interested in getting that card from you, but I am not comfortable just taking it at no charge. Could we do a swap? I have a fair collection of older hardware. Do you have any legacy hardware needs?