mandriva 2009.1 live cd boots endlessly

Guest kernelpanic!

Guest kernelpanic!

hello mandrivausers,

booting from mandriva 2009.1 live cd ...

everything is working just fine until the desktop-environment is almost fully loaded,

kde controlpanel and icons are there, all looking great.

the cd-drive however doesn`t stop booting, it continues for ever as if caught in an

endless loop. the processor seams to be maxed out, no response to whatever I try.

(looking at it for about half an hour I had to reset my pc).

md5-checksum of the iso is ok, using my other (dvd-)drive showed the same result.

cheatcodes (acpi=off, noapic, nolapic) didn`t help.

suspecting the new speedboot-feature I also tried "speedboot=no" as suggested for

grub codes on an installed system, again no result.

my system: pentium 2 ghz, 512 MB ram, ATI X1300.

when booting the cd in my notebook, everything works just fine.

now I'm out of ideas ... would be thankful for any suggestion/help to solve that problem!

Were I you, at the Grub boot screen, I'd try and append “ 3†to the kernel line, so you can boot in text mode. If all is fine then the problem is either with X11 or with KDE.

Yves.

Guest kernelpanic!

ok, that`s what I did. cd bootet up to commandline, I logged in as guest and started X from there. the remaining boot process showed no change to the normal cd-boot, just endless booting ...

so I guess, mandriva is just not working on my machine. too bad, because this distribution is a real nice one, I think.

anyway, Yves, thankyou for your quick answer and help!

I have a similar (or the same?) bug in my desktop computer. KDE 4 starts but the liitle applets next to the clock (kmix, net_applet etc) don't. It usually takes 10-15 minutes until the KDE desktop starts. And after it started it's still very slow.

Here's the bug report I made: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=49863

As you can see I tried the Gnome and the KDE four live cd to close out possibilities. I suggest you to do the same if you have the time and bandwidth.

edited to make it more understandable

Edited by dexter11

anyway, Yves, thankyou for your quick answer and help!

You're welcome :)

If you went as far as the text-mode login prompt, then the distribution does work. But you have a problem with the graphical aspect of it. Things you could try (still at runlevel 3):

— First, configure your Xorg to use VESA: in text mode, as root, start drakx11, and for the graphics card, choose “Xorg|Vesaâ€.

— Now, run “Xorg†(just that, no parameters): if your X11 config is OK, then you should be able to quickly move your mouse pointer on the screen. Hit CtrlAltBackspace, or CtrlAltF1 and CtrlC, and the experiment will stop.

— If the previous step was OK, two things can be attempted: either you try and revert Xorg to the correct video driver, and run the experiment again, or (still with VESA) you urpmi icewm-light, and you try and run that:

# Xorg &
# export DISPLAY=:0
# icewm-light &

This should enable you to have a working minimal X11 session on CtrlAltF7. You can stop it by killall Xorg.

— If all goes well, you could try and run IceWM using the correct video driver, and if all still is OK, then try and use a simple “startx /usr/bin/icewm-light†instead of the tedious X & export DISPLAY & icewm-light as above.

Tell us the results you have.

Yves.

Guest kernelpanic!

oh my god ...

I'm just a newbie to linux and you want me to fiddle around with commandlines, xorg and window-managers ;)

but I`ll do my very best on the weekend and let you know what I found out B)