Window decorators lost during upgrade

yossarian

Hello and welcome to another chapter in the ever-lasting series of Yossarian's Mandriva perfect upgrades, but not just so.

Today's plot:

After upgrading from 2009.0 to 2009.1 (using the graphical online applet, worked very nicely and announced a successful upgrade at the end), and rebooting the computer, I got a black screen, instead of the login screen.

Reboot. This time, from the Grub I chose running in safe mode, ran drakx11 and chose graphical driver "Intel 810" instead of "Intel 810 or later" (I have IBM X30). Then I disabled Composite and 3-d effects. Desktop now runs normally. But when I bring those two features back from the MCC, after login I do get 3-d effects, but the windows have no decorators (or borders), and instead of the AWN deskbar and Google gadgets (I have a hideous taste, I know, spare me) I get only white stripes. Which makes me think something is wrong with the composite extension, only I have no clue what. Going back to the "Intel 810 or later" driver brings back the black screen.

I know the missing decorators issue was raised here many times before, but in the search I made I didn't find a solution to my problem. If I missed it I'll be grateful if you throw in the link.

Does anyone have a closure to this story?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to another chapter in the ever-lasting series of Yossarian's Mandriva perfect upgrades, but not just so.

Today's plot:

After upgrading from 2009.0 to 2009.1 (using the graphical online applet, worked very nicely and announced a successful upgrade at the end), and rebooting the computer, I got a black screen, instead of the login screen.

Reboot. This time, from the Grub I chose running in safe mode, ran drakx11 and chose graphical driver "Intel 810" instead of "Intel 810 or later" (I have IBM X30). Then I disabled Composite and 3-d effects. Desktop now runs normally. But when I bring those two features back from the MCC, after login I do get 3-d effects, but the windows have no decorators (or borders), ...

Thanks!

Are you using compiz or metisse?

Are you using compiz or metisse?

Compiz.

If you are using compiz, try installing and using "emerald" instead of "gtk-window-decorator" under Window Decoration--> Command from within the CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Thanks, I'll try it when I get back home (about nine more hours to go...).

If you are using compiz, try installing and using "emerald" instead of "gtk-window-decorator" under Window Decoration--> Command from within the CompizConfig Settings Manager.

yep that would be my first answer...(*)

another think you could try (I don't know if you have tried) is to replace the window decorator...then replace again 4 the gtk-win..-dec just to see if there still that problem...

I just that trick when tried 4 the first time compiz and didn't worked (I just did it one time)...let's see if (*) worked cuz it's nothing sure XD then I found emerald...and I read it would have helped me XD

demon and dan,

I appreciate your help, but I'm doubtful. As I mentioned, I also have a problem with the Avant window manager and google gadgets. It makes me think the problem is with the composite extension, not with the windows decrators. I suspect my problem has something to do with the new Xorg version, maybe my card doesn't support it (see here).

Anyway, I'm sort of starting to like the "regular" display manager, because my HW is pretty old and this way my machine is more responsive. I've started developing with it, so I need the performance.

Of course, thanks for your time. :)

I suspect my problem has something to do with the new Xorg version, maybe my card doesn't support it (see here).

Actually, I believe that the current driver for your card is the problem. :) The devs are working on this in cooker, so you could try the x11-driver-video-intel-2.7.0-x in the cooker repo and see if it works any better for you.

I feel certain that when they get it working properly with the new xorg-server in cooker they will push it into 2009.1 updates.

Actually, I believe that the current driver for your card is the problem. :)

Yeah, that's what I meant! WOW, these are great news. Not so much because of the solution, but because I diagnosed correctly the problem. :)

The devs are working on this in cooker, so you could try the x11-driver-video-intel-2.7.0-x in the cooker repo and see if it works any better for you.

How do you know that? I googled aroung and couldn't find anything about that. Anyway, as I mentioned, I'm getting along even without Compiz, and I'm not sure I have the time to install things from cooker and risk crashing my system. I'll be glad if you point me to a place where I can track the development (like the relevant bug report or wherever the progress is visible).

I'll be glad if you point me to a place where I can track the development (like the relevant bug report or wherever the progress is visible).

You can subscribe to the cooker mailing list, or read the mailing list archives... seek and ye shall find. :D

Here it is in the mailing list archives: /lists.mandriva.com/cooker

Here's the latest comment from Colin Guthrie in the bug report #43897: comment #36

As you can see he has just pushed the new x11-driver-video-intel-2.7.0-3mdv package into the official 2009.1 /main/testing repo. All you have to do is add that repo to your sources list, then install it.