DNS behind DHCP/Firewall

Guest fox757

I have installed Mandrake 9 and configured it as a Firewall (shorewall) and DHCP server. When bringing up a machine behind the wall, the dns server information is not being passed (or it is being passed incorrectly).

The firewall/DHCP server is configured to use one address (66.x.x.x), and the client machine's (when doing a NSlookup) are reporting the firewall server as the Name server (192.168.x.x).

I need the clients to point to an outside nameserver (66.x.x.x) and not the firewall/dhcp server.

btw - the resolv.conf file on the server shows the correct nameserver (66.x.x.x)

any help appreciated...

i don't understand?

you want the clients to have there primary dns lookup to be a dns server that it out side you network?

if so you set the clients dns to the ip of the external dns server

mandrake control center -> network and internet -> connection -> wizard -> blah -> blah ->

dns (between host name and gateway) set it to the external dns server.

am i missing something here? can your clients reach the external dns from behind the firewall?

Yes, I wanted the DHCP server to pass the name server information of the outside DNS server. I found what I was looking for in dhcpd.conf. just an oversight on my part. thanks