First time installation, 9.1

Guest Falcon

Guest Falcon

This is my first attempt at installing Linux. I am trying to install Mandrake 9.1 on my Pentium 200 machine. I followed the instructions and turned PNP off in the BIOS, I also set it to boot from CD-ROM first. I put the Install CD in and clicked install, the machine then tries to re boot, I get the following error:

OS load in progress...

ISOLINUX 1.76 Mandrake Linux isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it...

isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.

Does anyone know what this means and what I have to do to fix it?

THANKS!!

Falcon

Welcome to the board!

Where did you get the cd's? If you downloaded it, did you run the md5sum to verify the integrity of the download?

Guest Falcon

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Ixthusdan, I actually purchased the box version so my CD's are from the factory. How do I run the md5sum?

phazeman, is the floppy.img something that I can copy off of my install CD? Also, if I boot up this way will I still get the graphical install? Do I need to reset my BIOS to boot from floppy first in this case?

bvc, my machine only has 96mb of RAM..

Thanks again

Falcon

Guest Falcon

Since my last post, I have tried using a boot floppy. I get the point where I can enter or hit F1. I have tried both and I cannot get the installation wizard started. It asks me to select one of my drives and when I do it doesnt recognize a file system. I thought this thing was supposed to have a nice graphical interface?????? I have no idea what to do at this point.

Anybody?........ Anybody?.........

Falcon

Since my last post, I have tried using a boot floppy. I get the point where I can enter or hit F1. I have tried both and I cannot get the installation wizard started. It asks me to select one of my drives and when I do it doesnt recognize a file system. I thought this thing was supposed to have a nice graphical interface?????? I have no idea what to do at this point.

Anybody?........ Anybody?.........

Falcon

did you try entering linux=nodma

Guest Falcon

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it. I got the following message:

could not find kernal image: linux=no.dma

Then it proceeded with the boot and took me to the point I was before.

Does that tell you anything?

Falcon

Guest Falcon

I guess since my machine is so old it wasn't able to boot from the CD-ROM. So I made a boot floppy. The key to it was using the cdrom.img NOT the hd.img (as I was trying to do at first). Once I did that I booted from the floppy and put install CD 1 in my CD Drive and the graphical install wizard came online. From there it is reading my CD-ROM drive just fine. So far everything is going ok...Thanks to those who helped!!

Falcon