Which Nvidia driver to download from site?

WmCook

try as root - "vi /etc/modules".

you should see something like this:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.

#

# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are

# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with

# a '#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

nvidia

scsi_hostadapter

if you see "Nvdriver", comment it out and add "nvidia". ":wq!" . restart.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I changed this one also. I think that I have tried everything suggested and still get:

NV: could not get NV card info (invalid argument)

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initalize the NVIDIA kernel module!

when I get anything at all. I keep thinking that there is something simple that I am missing.

One of the referenced threads above suggested that this is a Mandrake problem. I like the Linux concept but this is beyond frustrating. I don't mind a learning curve, but I have installed the program ~10 times and have tried all of the solutions that have worked for other folks. Perhaps the next Nvidia driver release will address the problem but if I can't get 9.1 going this weekend, I'm going to have to jump ship to another Linux distribution (which would be the pits as I bought the 7 disk Mandrake package).

However, all of the help and brainstorming has been wonderful. -Will

It's always darkest before the dawn. Ok, after "Cntr - Alt -F1" then "Alt + F2" will get a login prompt. I tried to load the nvidia drivers and was told I couldn't do it while X was running. After a couple of options, I think "killall x" did the trick. Typing startx resulted in the familiar dark screen. However, a reboot resulted in the beautiful white Nvidia screen. The only problem is that the screen won't go away. It's nice and I wouldn't even mind setting it as wallpaper, but it would be nice to "get beyond it".

So, I am no longer filled with despair, and feel that the process is moving forward. I will start from scratch and believe that the 11th install will be the charm. -Will