Which Nvidia driver to download from site?

WmCook

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purists would naysay this, but there is no shame in reinstalling! My first Mandrake was 7.0, which I reinstalled several times, trying to figure out what it was asking me! Today's Mandrake is a nicer gui, and easier to understand. :wink:

OK, I checked out the threads, did some things different, and unfortunately had the same result.

I reinstalled (twice) and loaded the nvidia drivers from the lilo - linux 3 prompt.

Changed the Config-4 device section to Driver "nvidia"

Added Load "glx"

Ensured that there was a link to the proper libglx.so file

Checked the /etc/modules.conf file to make sure "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" was there

In the /etc/modules file "#NVidia" and added "nvidia"

Prayed

Typed startx and still got a blank screen. Modprobe nvidia does nothing.

Questions: What does "/sbin/depmod -ae" do?

In Config-4 is the line "Load "v41"#Video for Linux" OK

While booting I get the message "Modprobe can't locate module fb0"

I'm starting to get frustrated. (But appreciate all the help)

Just to be sure....are you installing this?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...y_ia32_1.0-4496

You shouldn't have to add

Load "glx"

I never have, though I've heard of having to. In fact, you should only have to change nv to nvidia. Again, some have had weird/old modules.config entries.

v4l is OK....usually. Go ahead and #comment it out, for the sake of finding the prob though.

....and don't give up! :)

The installer does it. Do this. If you haven't installed the kernel-source and have 150MB hd space free, as root;

urpmi kernel-source

follow instructions.

Then

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --uninstall

then

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run -ane

Answer yes to everything by hitting Enter. Pay attention, because it's going to ask if you want to install NVIDIA's GLX/OpenGL stuff....say yes. Reboot. Does it work? This is the only way I have ever installed NVIDIA with the new installer and it has never failed.

If the kernel sources werer never installed, the nvidia drivers were never installed! :lol: Good spot, bvc. Just run the installer again. It'll work this time. :wink:

to run this - sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --uninstall, i think you should be in the directory where you placed the nvidia driver.

you can also use this (without quotes) - "nvidia-installer --uninstall" , to uninstall the nvidia driver.

can you also try add this - Option "NvAgp" "0" to the Device section of your XF86Config file. It'll look like something like this....

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "NVidia"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Option "NvAgp" "0"

EndSection

sometimes this option command works.....

The point is that the installer won't install on a system that does not have the sources installed. So the installer was not installing anything. From what I have seen, the installer will uninstall a previous driver anyway.

Thanks for the info. :)

I wasnt trying to contest that fact about the sources, in fact in my post in the link mentioned in my above post, i also suggested that the kernel sources be installed.

I was trying to answer WmCook's question - "Installed the kernel-source then typed the uninstall command at the [root@localhost myname]# prompt. I got the message that the file couldn't be found. Do I need to be in a different directory?"

Am on dialup and on a very slow isp so by the time i finished my answer, your answer was already there.

Sorry for the mixup.

Just ran the installer again and it didn't work so I'm going to reinstall Linux from scratch (8th time's the charm perhaps). Before loading the nvidia files, I have been using the software installer (the mandrake installer) to load "binutils" which I understand is necessary for the nvidia program. Any problem with this?