Mandriva 2009.1 with KDE 3.5.10 how-to

tux99

As there are still many people who prefer KDE 3.5 as their default DE I thought it was important enough to summarize the various posts about this into a dedicated thread.

how to do a new 2009.1 install with KDE 3.5.10:

This is what I did:

- installed Mandriva 2009.1 from the Free dual arch ISO with LXDE as desktop environment

- added all repositories (official and plf) with http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

- opened a root console

- typed: urpmi task-kde3

- after that, at the next login I had the choice of KDE at the gdm login screen and selecting this fired up the great beloved KDE 3.5.10 desktop!

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...st&p=603444

how to do an upgrade to 2009.1 keeping your KDE 3.5 desktop:

Upgrading from previous releases

Please note that if you use the Free or Powerpack editions to do an upgrade install from a previous Mandriva Linux release, KDE 3 - if installed - will be replaced by KDE 4, and your personal KDE settings and customizations will be lost. If you do not want this to happen, we recommend you either use the installer's ability to add internet repositories prior to doing the upgrade, or do a network installation, or use the newly-introduced ability of Mandriva Online (the Mandriva update notification applet) to perform upgrades from one release to the next. Using any of these methods, the upgrade process will have KDE 3 packages available, and your upgraded Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring system will have KDE 3 and your personal settings preserved.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.1_Notes#U...evious_releases

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bassmanitram

Cant find KMix and KDE sounds won't work - did you get them working (Arts IS running)? I hasten to add that other apps sound output works, so the drivers themselves are fine (though max volume appears MUCH less than in 2008.1). It is just KDE sounds and things that rely on arts that are not working.

Edited by bassmanitram

Guest bassmanitram

I notice that KDE 3 was MOSTLY in 2009.0 Contrib and thus those packages have been migrated to 2009.1 contrib.

BUT KDE 3's multimedia packages were in the 2009.0 MAIN delivery. They are not in the 2009.1 main delivery and seem to have been forgotten in the migration to contrib.

How do we fix that oversight?

I notice that KDE 3 was MOSTLY in 2009.0 Contrib and thus those packages have been migrated to 2009.1 contrib.

BUT KDE 3's multimedia packages were in the 2009.0 MAIN delivery. They are not in the 2009.1 main delivery and seem to have been forgotten in the migration to contrib.

How do we fix that oversight?

I don't use 'artsd', in fact one of the first things I always do on a new install is disable the sound servers (artsd and pulseaudio) so I didn't notice that.

You might want to do a bug report for it at: http://qa.mandriva.com, create yourself an account and the go here:

https://qa.mandriva.com/enter_bug.cgi?produ...p;format=guided

Even though KDE3.5 is in contrib and unsupported on 2009.1, this is an obvious omission so they will probably still fix it.

Edited by tux99

Also it's worth noting, that even if you do a "clean" KDE 3 install like this, you'll still get KDE 4 packages installed as dependencies when you install programs like digikam, k3b etc.

Might be obvious to many but somehow I imagined this would give you a purely KDE3-based system. I guess I expected there to be a KDE3 version of kate, for example, but there isn't.

Also it's worth noting, that even if you do a "clean" KDE 3 install like this, you'll still get KDE 4 packages installed as dependencies when you install programs

That was already the case in 2009.0, the last 'pure' KDE3 version was 2008.1.

For me that's not a big issue because I choose KDE3 because I regard the window manager and the basic desktop environment as better than any alternatives, with regards to applications I use a mix of al sort of apps including many gnome/gtk apps.

Edited by tux99

I guess I expected there to be a KDE3 version of kate, for example, but there isn't.
Whoops, yes there is - it's in the "kdebase-kate" package rather than the "kate" package. The KDE4 version doesn't work too well but this one works great!

• 1 month later...

I have just installed 2009.1 with KDE 3.5 on another PC and this is what I did to get the missing KDE multimedia packages:

- launch "Install & Remove Software" (drakrpm)

- click on "Options" then "Media Manager"

- a new window will open titled "Configure media"

- click on "File" then "Add a custom medium"

- a new window will open titled "Add a medium"

- select/input the following:

Type of medium: FTP server

Medium name: 2009.0 Main

URL: ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/of...ia/main/release (you could use any other Mandriva 2009.0 mirror instead too)

- click on "OK"

- click on "OK" in "Configure media" window

- then type "kdemultimedia" in the "Find:" input field

- select the kdemultimedia 3.5.10 1mdv2009.0 package

(this will also select all other kdemultimedia packages)

- proceed with installation

Basically this add a 2009.0 repository and then installs kdemultimedia from there. This works fine as the packages are the same version.

Once the installation has completed remember to disable the "2009.0 Main" repository in the Media Manager to avoid installing other old 2009.0 software.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest diegooooo

I have installed kdemultimedia from 2009.0 but still in kopete cant choose any v4l source for my camera...

anyone an idea?

thanks

diego

ok i was curious n compiled a version of kopete...

n still same problem

so i guess kde3 not really usable in 2009.1, sad but true

That's a sweeping statement, I have never used kopete, but for everything I need KDE3 works great in 2009.1.

Is your camera working with other programs in 2009.1 at all?

• 1 month later...

I am another user suffering from the nostalgia for 3.5.x... I have just installed 3.5 packages using the urpmi task-kde3, and now I am trying to install baghira theme, but am getting this error...

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0 and < 4.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

I tried rpm from sourceforge but it did not like the dependencies either. Does this mean "bye-bye baghira for me?"

Ok, now I understand, sorry can't help you much with that, but I guess it's just a matter of changing or adding some library paths in the Makefile as it seems to be complaining that it can locate the libraries.

Remember KDE 3.5 is installed under /opt/kde3 in 2009.0 and 2009.1 so you will have to adapt the rpm (rebuild from source rpm) or the Makefile that comes with the source code for that.

Apart from that I imagine it should work fine.