OOo1.1 and MDK9.1...a couple of questions....

lawsonrc

1. Is it possible to upgrade OOo to version 1.1 by doing a simple command, like urpmi, or whatever?

2. If not, can OOo9.1 co-habit on MDK 9.1 along with the default version, which I think is 1.0.1 (I"m at work and not in Linux, so it may be 1.0.2).

3. If I install OOo1.1, will it be nicely anti-aliased like the version that came with MDK9.1?

4. I installed OOo1.1 in Windows, but the Stylist and Navigation Panels will no longer "roll up", or "shade" (i.e. collapse) in the Windows version as they did in OOo1.0.x. Also, I can't remember how to "stick" them to the side and open and close them that way as I did before, which is a second option to the windowshading.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard L.

hi,

check out this thread for OOo1.1 install from .tar.gz instructions........

click here

as for your questions........

1. it SHOULD detect your old version. there are no rpm's (that i know) yet for OOo1.1, so you're gonna have to use the .tar.gz file. if it doesn't integrate with your old version, just check out the above link for info on migrating user settings from 1.0 to 1.1. it's very easy to do.

2. yes, you can have both versions installed & running at the same time, as long as your version 1.1 has a different directory name than 1.0

3. yes, the default fonts are anit-aliased & just like 1.0. if they're not to your liking, you can tweak those settings in the "options".

4. not sure. haven't played with any of those options yet. i know the "gallery" window rolls up when you don't want to see it, so the others should also, i'm guessing. :roll:

Chris

hi - can I butt in for just a second...

there are no rpm's (that i know) yet for OOo1.1

like Richard, I would also like to install the rpm way (urpmi or apt-get). What's the usual lag time for rpms to hit the urpmi or apt-get repositories ?

thanks

AFAIK OpenOffice only does releases in tar.gz form. (anybody, correct me on this if i'm wrong. :shock: ) as far as an rpm, Texstar may make one in the future, but i'm not sure on that either. (some help i am, huh?) don't be afraid of the tar file. download it & either use the instructions i provided at the above link, or read the install instructions on the OpenOffice site. they are thorough, easy, & pretty much fool proof. i should know..........i followed those instructions & had nary a problem. more fool me....... :wink:

Chris

# rpm -qa | grep Office

OpenOffice.org-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-libs-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

hmmmmm

Edit: I upgraded to 9.2 from Cooker, so I bet that's where they are.

to add a few more comments.............

i just installed the OOo1.1 tar final. installation went without a hitch. it picked up all of my user settings from 1.1rc5. it's working fine.

Code:

# rpm -qa | grep Office

OpenOffice.org-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-libs-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.1-0.rc4.2mdk

hmmmmm

Edit: I upgraded to 9.2 from Cooker, so I bet that's where they are.

note that all of those rpm's are from release rc4. they had rc5 after that before the final came out, so i would recommend not using those rpm's & getting the final 1.1 tar file.

Chris

The problem with tar.gz, even if easy to install is that they are not on the rpm database.

So if I forgot to uninstall a program installed with a tar.gzit before I install a new version using rpm, my system may start to become a mess.

Personally I prefer to install _only_ with rpm, except for drivers if no choice.

I think i'll try the OOo cooker rpms on 9.1 ..

roland

note that all of those rpm's are from release rc4. they had rc5 after that before the final came out, so i would recommend not using those rpm's & getting the final 1.1 tar file.

Chris

what were the huge improvements from RC4 to RC5? i have RC4 and it is pretty stable. actually i haven't had any problems with it at all

illogic-al wrote:

what were the huge improvements from RC4 to RC5? i have RC4 and it is pretty stable. actually i haven't had any problems with it at all

to be honest, i have no idea! :shock: i'm just a sucker for new releases, so i did the rc5 install. i figured since this last one is truly final (no rc#) that i'd get that one. it all works great & it gave me something to do! :lol:

roland wrote:

The problem with tar.gz, even if easy to install is that they are not on the rpm database. 

So if I forgot to uninstall a program installed with a tar.gzit before I install a new version using rpm, my system may start to become a mess. 

Personally I prefer to install _only_ with rpm, except for drivers if no choice. 

I think i'll try the OOo cooker rpms on 9.1 ..

yeah, i like rpm's over tar's too. but, i'm trying to get away from relying on rpm too much. plus, since this is an official OOo download, there's little chance of something failing or going wrong, as opposed to cooker. and, the installer detects previous versions of OOo & upgrades from there, so there's no need to uninstall the old version first. :D

many ways to do things. it's all a matter of preference, i suppose....

Chris

Guest BooYah

So if I forgot to uninstall a program installed with a tar.gzit before I install a new version using rpm,

OOo comes with it's own uninstaller and repair facility. There's really no reason to use an rpm for it. You can have several versions side by side, as well.

4) Mine shade fine. I think you're talking about ctrl+click to stick them.