2009.1 upgrade failed [solved]

mittfh

I've been upgrading my 2009.0 to 2009.1 this evening.

Apart from a false start caused by it falling over when encountering the PLF version of mplayer, everything went swimmingly for 2 hours, with over 800 packages successfully downloaded and installed.

Then it hit a snag...

Unable to add medium, errors reported:

...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 4
no metadata found for medium "Restricted (Official2009.1-25)"
...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 4
no metadata found for medium "Restricted Updates (Official2009.1-26)"

Heading into Control Center, removing all media and replacing them produced the same error.

What do I do now? I'm sitting in a peculiar hybrid of both versions, so would like to complete the installation (preferably without re-downloading what's already been done!) And what are these mysterious "Restricted" media that are hampering my upgrade - I don't remember seeing them in previous versions...

Edited by mittfh

Which version of mdv did you have before the upgrade? Free, One or PowerPack?

I assume the restricted medium is the one that contains additional stuff for Powerpack users, and it currently appears empty:

ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.co...tricted/release

I think something might be still missing here, I would suggest to do a bug-report on http://qa.mandriva.com/ and maybe post this on the official forum at http://forum.mandriva.com too.

I'm running Free (which upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 six months ago without a hitch, but the 2009.0 I started the latest upgrade from was a fresh install following my Bluetooth experiments about a month ago), and in the meantime am seeing how far I can get through installing the 2009.1 version of task-gnome (plus mplayer - can't live without that!)

I'll see how things go (planning to shut down and head to bed fairly soon-ish), so will search, try again and if necessary file the bug reports early tomorrow evening.

I've upgraded both my laptops and got exactly the same error message at the end of the process. However the upgrade appears to have been successfull (you can verify by checking the release version do: cat /etc/release). Good work apart from the hiccup at the end :)

I've upgraded both my laptops and got exactly the same error message at the end of the process. However the upgrade appears to have been successfull (you can verify by checking the release version do: cat /etc/release). Good work apart from the hiccup at the end :)

I would like to know what do you do to upgrade....and if there's another way to upgrade...maybe using the free 2009.1 DVD? saftely without having problems...cuz I've always reinstalled it ..now I want to upgrade it XD

:thumbs: finally available mandriva :D

Edited by demonseth17

I would like to know what do you do to upgrade....and if there's another way to upgrade...maybe using the free 2009.1 DVD?

:thumbs: finally available mandriva :D

I just waited for the notification of an upgrade being available and ran it. One laptop started out as Mandriva One 2009 (because it doesn't have a dvd drive) and the other was Mandriva Free 2009. They have both successfully upgraded to 2009.1. I'm going to try using the dvd to upgrade my desktop machine later, to see if that works too. Oh and both laptops were upgraded wirelessly.

Using urpmi --auto-update / --auto-select worked up to a point (incidentally, it didn't 'see' the restricted packages that the GUI can).

Eventually, after it fell over a few times and I manually urpme'd 2009.0 versions of packages, I'm left with this:

installing liblm_sensors4-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586.rpm liblm_sensors-static-devel-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586.rpm
tango-icon-theme-0.8.90-1mdv2009.1.noarch.rpm perl-Nagios-Plugin-0.32-1mdv2009.1.noarch.rpm
hddtemp-0.3-0.beta15.9mdv2009.1.i586.rpm nagios-check_lm_sensors-3.1.0-3mdv2009.1.noarch.rpm
gnome-sensors-applet-2.2.3-1mdv2009.1.i586.rpm lm_sensors3-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586.rpm
liblm_sensors-devel-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586.rpm gbrainy-1.1-2mdv2009.1.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Installation failed:
liblm_sensors3-devel < 3.0.3 conflicts with liblm_sensors-devel-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586
Installation failed:
liblm_sensors3-devel < 3.0.3 conflicts with liblm_sensors-devel-3.0.3-2mdv2009.1.i586

Trying to install any of the lm_sensors packages manually also results in the same error, as they all appear to depend on each other.

I've also picked up a strange mouse bug - regardless of whether left-hand or right-hand button layout is selected, it uses the right-hand button layout. As I'm a leftie, it's annoying having to remember to use the 'wrong' buttons...

But apart from those niggles, I've more-or-less got 2009.1 - /etc/release thinks I'm running it, and when I booted up this morning I had the new theme (very William Morris-esque) and gnome 2.26.

Edited to add word wrap to the code box!

Edited by mittfh

I think I'll head off to the official forum - even though 99% of packages are now 2009.1, the updater still thinks "a new version is available" and still cannot find the Restricted metadata. Even after clearing out my repositories list and using Easy-Urpmi to re-fill them.

Plus the apparent mouse bug - according to mouse preferences I'm using left handed layout. But in reality, it's still using the right handed layout.

And the lack of any sound in the GUI (although soundcard must be set up OK since running speaker-test in a terminal works!)