Upgrading from 2009.0 to 2009.1

yossarian

Hi all,

I'd like to upgrade my system from 2009.0 to 2009.1. After looking at the mirrors, I realized I have a problem. My laptop is quite old (IBM X30), so it doesn't have DVD drive, and the bios does not support mounting from USB. Previously I used to upgrade from the Free CD's as I did not trust the network connection, but apparently this time Mandriva decided to drop this option and stay with the DVD. So as far as I can see, I don't have any other option but upgrading straight from the network.

Does anyone see any alternative? If not, does anyone have any special tips before I try it (assuming the graphical upgrade procedure was dropped after 2009.0 release)?

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done upgrades before by just removing the existing urpmi sources and adding the new ones. This has generally always worked well for me. Just use etc-update (install this package if you don't have), so that you can replace the config files that were in place for the previous versions of packages. That should generally see you right.

You could use the Free dual arch CD or you could use one of the Mandriva ONE CDs, see also here for a description of each ISO:

http://www.linuxtech.net/news/mandriva_lin...ing_is_out.html

Of course a network upgrade as described by Ian should work too, but it might not be so suitable for someone with only basic Linux skills (I don't know if that's your case or not).

In any case I strongly recommend to make a backup of all your data first, as an upgrade can always go wrong and then you will have to reinstall from scratch.

You could use the Free dual arch CD or you could use one of the Mandriva ONE CDs, see also here for a description of each ISO:

Are you sure I can upgrade from the dual arch? Does it have all the required packages? Because I read somewhere it only has LXDE (no Gnome or KDE). And about One - as far as I know one can only have fresh install from the One, not upgrade.

In the meanwhile I see I got the blue arrow telling me a new version is available, from the graphical interface. Did anyone try it?

You can use the DVD iso file as an installation source. Boot using the boot.iso (CD), select hard drive install and point the installer to the location of the iso. Be sure to put the iso on a partition that will not be formatted during the installation.

Jim

I'm sorry to say I've not tried it or used that icon before. I might have seen it, but I always tended to upgrade using urpmi from the command line as it let me see a little bit more about what was going on with the upgrade process.

Of course, ithe upgrade not for the faint-hearted in case things go wrong - but saying that, I've not had it happen yet. The only time I had it but managed to fix it later was when I upgraded Mandrake 10.0 to 10.1 and then up to Mandriva 2005. And the only big problem there was that between 10.0 and 10.1 was big change I just can't remember what it was now - but it'll be on this forum somewhere. devfsd or something similar to that.

Although someone did it here from previous release to 2009 Spring:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=603214

I've been doing a little reasearch and I found this command line upgrade option

I don't know if this is the way it's done, cuz since I use mandriva I prefered a clean installation...now I want to try the upgrade!

are these procedures correct?

Upgrading 2009.0 to 2009.1

if there's something more please let me know...I want to know more before I make a mistake...I'm also downloading the mandriva free DVD 2009.1 ...so if the DVD install is more secure than the command line option please let me know if there's a how-to or something ....there's a problem if I used KDE3, KDE4 and Gnome?

thx in advance

Edited by demonseth17

so if the DVD install is more secure than the command line option please let me know if there's a how-to or something

thx in advance

It's not that the install itself is more secure, it's just that if you upgrade through the network and then in the middle of the procedure your network hangs up accidentally, you may encounter some problems. So it really depends on how much your connection is reliable.

I upgraded before through the CD's (equivalent to DVD, only different media) and in general it worked very well. Maybe there were minor tweakings had to be done after the upgrade, but nothing serious or difficult. So I recommend using the DVD option (which I'm downloading right now), but it's a matter of personal perference (as you can see from the various answers posted here).

It's not that the install itself is more secure, it's just that if you upgrade through the network and then in the middle of the procedure your network hangs up accidentally, you may encounter some problems. So it really depends on how much your connection is reliable.

I upgraded before through the CD's (equivalent to DVD, only different media) and in general it worked very well. Maybe there were minor tweakings had to be done after the upgrade, but nothing serious or difficult. So I recommend using the DVD option (which I'm downloading right now), but it's a matter of personal perference (as you can see from the various answers posted here).

Do I have to know commands or something to upgrade with DVD?.......more info? or I just have to follow its instructions?