Use Evolution? Wanna kill spam?

DOlson

Okay, seems to be working thus far, but I had to change the second and third filters to say returns 0 instead of doesn't return 999 else it wouldn't put the email where it should.

Update: I found out that you need to set the numbers to 999 using the spinners instead of typing it in, since Evolution doesn't like to remember what you type in there. I did that, and then the filters work as advertised. Don't listen to my other post. :)

Cool. Now I can unload some of those unwieldy filters I have been using. Thanks for the link. Now I just need a few more pieces of spam to train my filter (geez, never thought I'd say that).

Hehe. It has been working for me, just too bad I didn't know about this when I was getting about 100 "Microsoft Security Viruses" in my inbox each morning. :

• 3 weeks later...

Ximian has an interesting solution. You'll need to have spamassassin installed.

Create a text file with any text editor and paste in the following:

1. spamassassin -e

(This will run the SpamAssassin command and report back 0 if the message is not junk.)

2. Save the file as "spam-filter.sh" and make it executable

3. Back in Evolution, create a new filter.

4. Select "Pipe Message to Shell Command".

5. Enter "some_path_to/spam-filter.sh" as the shell command, then select "Does Not Return" and "0" as the remaining two items.

6. For actions, choose what you'd like to do with the messages. You can delete the messages automatically, but it's more prudent to place them in a "Possible Junk Mail" folder, and check them over just to make sure a genuine message didn't get flagged by accident.

After that, I just toyed with the settings in the ~/.spamassasin/user_prefs file. I set the required hits to 1, and occassionally added stuff to the whitelist or blacklist to adjust. But it worked great.

Of course, having said all that, I've switched to Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/) which has great Junk filtering built in.

But I switch mail clients at teh drop of a hat, everytime a new one comes out. :-)

Did you read the link I posted? It's a similar thing, and uses much the same stuff that you posted, but it does it much better, and much more configurably.

Did you read the link I posted? It's a similar thing, and uses much the same stuff that you posted, but it does it much better, and much more configurably.

Oh yeah..... I did. ;-) I just thought I'd add the other in too. I'd just "discovered" this board..... you know how that goes..... "Look at me! I'm posting!" :-)

You are right- your method is much better (and faster I would imagine) and configurable. I did notice that the method I described would choke or go real slow on large volumes of spam. A friend told me a way to hook it all up running spamassassin as a service and have fetchmail or sumfin like that and procmail deliver it to my local inbox.

I wish Ximain would build in a jun feature like Mozilla/Thunderbird. I'm a lazy user- just give me a box or two to click. That's primarily why I switched to T-Bird from Evolution- spam. It was just built in. Leaves more time for FrozenBubble.

Heh. Well, I'm not saying don't do it your way, just that most of the info was similar, and it appeared to me that you hadn't looked at the link.

Now, if playing games is your only concern, why you using Linux? ;)

Heh. Well, I'm not saying don't do it your way, just that most of the info was similar, and it appeared to me that you hadn't looked at the link.

Now, if playing games is your only concern, why you using Linux? ;)

Games are just at home. At work we use Linux for everything- desktop, mail, internet, intranet, DNS, data processing, etc. I'm on Linux 45-55 hours a week at work. When I get home, I usually just wanna fire up Battlefield 1942. :-)

I do have a dual boot on my home box, and my kids fire up Linux regularly to do non-gaming stuff, which is kinda cool. They like it and transitioned to it with almost no questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...