Reduce Quality of Jpeg image with GIMP

paCkeTroUTer

I tried looking for an option in GIMP to reduce the quality of a jpeg image, but I can't seem to find the right menu option.

Does anyone know how to reduce the quality of a jpeg image with gimp from 100% to about 75% ? If this option is not available with gimp, perhaps an alternative application ? Thanks

Jeffery

Open a picture with gimp and right click on the image.

you should get a menu go down to image and then you will get another menu. Then click on scale image. You can change the px tab pn the right to a % and then choose what percent. There might be alittle more you have to do with it. I can't remember all of it, it has been awhile since I used it. You can also change the file type to ones that compress better. You do this be clicking on file and then save as. Then under save options you can change the format of the file.

Open a picture with gimp and right click on the image.

you should get a menu go down to image and then you will get another menu.  Then click on scale image.  You can change the px tab pn the right to a  % and then choose what percent.

That only reduces the size of the image in dimensions. So if I had an image which was 300px by 300px and then I select % and reduce it to say 50% it will make the dimesions of the image to 150px by 150px

What I am trying to do is change the quality of the image as in compression ratio %

anybody else ?

Try "save as". I think it uses the same settings if you just use save whereas save as allows you to state new compression parameters. I may be completely wrong about this but that's the way one of the programs I use does it.

Glitz.