Problems burning double-layer discs and isos

Sunwatcher

I have installed 2008.0 Powerpack on my HP nw8240 laptop. However, I cannot burn double-layer discs or isos.

My disc drive model is Panasonic UJ-842, and it is supposed to handle DVD-R and DVD+R media, dual layer, and everything else basically. Mandriva shows it as correctly installed, and I can read discs, watch dvds, burn cdroms and even single-layer data discs. I have tried using both K3B and Brasero, but both fail.

What can I try now?

The only way to burn dual layer disks reliably, is 1. using Verbatim 2.4x media, which are the only ones being reliable (and preferrably the ones made in Taiwan or Singapore- not in India), and 2. ImgBurn as the buring application (it's a small, freeware windows application, but it works perfectly via WINE). The reason? It's the only application that lets you set accurately the layer break point of those disks.

Edited by scarecrow

I have been burning dual layer DVDs for many years with Mandriva (even with Mandrake 9.2!) using the command line tool 'growisofs', no need for windoze tools and wine.

(but i agree with regards to the Verbatim media, I only ever used Verbatim DL media).

Sunwatcher, you need to provide us with some more details, i.e. error messages from the logs or something, otherwise it's a bit hard to tell what your specific problem is.

Edited by tux99

I had a problem several years ago burning CD's reliably. I also discovered that Verbatim disks made in Taiwwan worked best - at least for me. However I found the Verbatim disks made in India were garbage. Turns out that the Verbatim CD's from India used a different dye than the ones from Taiwan.

Interesting that the DVD's exhibit similar behavior. Based on my previous experience with CD's, I've been using Verbatim DVD's almost exclusively - with great results.

CD's are a different beast. Myself had great results with Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui Gold and Silver (made in France). For single layer DVD's I'm using, even now, Taiyo Yuden printables, with a remarkable failure ratio (less than one out of thirty). But for dual layer media, I do not know ANY other reliable source, apart from Verbatim 2.4x (not made in India).

It is also surprising how well ImgBurn is working via the latest versions of wine- simply flawless. The only good apps for Linux (with GUI) are K3B for KDE3 (the one for KDE4 is at best beta), and Nerolinux (which is good, but not free). Brasero, GnomeBaker, SimpleBurn et al, are all second grade stuff.

I haven't tried dual-layers on mandriva cuz I've been using single layers...so let's see how it goes....my DVD drive supports Dual-Layer +R only so I should try those first XD...now I'm using more and more mandriva (leaving windows behind :thumbs: )...

I have found TDK to be the best and most reliable discs. Recently burned a TDK dual layer disc and it worked perfectly right from the beginning.

KB3 recognised my 7.0GB of data, and when I inserted the TDK dual layer disk it burned it without hesitation. The burn check reported AOK and subsequent use of the disk showed all data is AOK.

I have also found Verbatum to be quite good but at one stage I did have problems (years ago) (might have been the dye problem mentioned earlier). That is when I tried TDK and have never looked back ever since.

Cheers. John.

I'm also a TDK fan for reliability. Although I do use cheap media also and on the odd occasion I do get a coaster or two :)

Otherwise, I'm TDK all the way like AussieJohn.

The REAL test for dual layer DVD's is a video DVD-9.

If you insert it to a standalone, and the movie goes all the way without stumbling, then congrats- but usually, weird things do happen around the layer break point.

ImgBurn does let you set the layer break point according to the blanks you are using, and this is why it's so unique.

• 2 months later...