FTP'ing [solved]

xboxboy

Hello all. I'm trying to back up my Xbox hard drive before I install the latest version of Gentoox. (Gentoo adapted for the Xbox).

I was able to do this years ago, but can't seem to now!

I only have one net work card, so I have to disconnect that from the net, through MCC and then I connect the PC and the XBOX up using a cross over cable. Reconfigure my network card again through MCC to have a static IP. Then I've tried to use Filezilla FTP.

The XBOX details are:

Static IP of 192.168.0.3

Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.0.1

password xbox

IIRC I had to use port 21.

I'm actually wondering if my cross over cable has died. I usually connect to the net through an asus network hub. Perhaps I can use a normal network cable and go through the hub.

I've always struggled with networking.....This was the very original reason for trying Linux was windows networking is so damn hard.

Any help most appreciated.

First things to try,

1. Can you ping the machine you want to connect to? Does it reply?

ping x.x.x.x

replacing x.x.x.x with the IP of the XBOX.

2. Do you get link lights with the cross-over cable? If you get lights on the network cards, then all is fine.

3. Are you running Network Manager or some other daemon for giving you DHCP or is your machine static IP?

If static IP, then you should be OK, but if Network Manager is running, then perhaps close this so that it doesn't interfere with your connection. This is what I do when I switch from DHCP to static IP on my laptop, since Network Manager occasionally tries to connect, and then gives me some crap IP instead of the one I wanted.

4. If you've got nmap installed on your Mandriva machine, and you can ping and everything from the first three points, then try:

nmap x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the IP of the XBOX. This will port scan the IP and you can see if port 21 is listening. If it's not, then ftp server is not running on the XBOX for you to connect to. If that is the case, login to the XBOX and get it started, either using SSH or however you got it running before (using keyboard, mouse and monitor - never done it or got an XBOX so not sure if you did this, or via some console cable).

Then let us know how you got on.

Ian, thank you, here is what I got:

1: Ping 192.168.0.3

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=55 ttl=64 time=0.069 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=56 ttl=64 time=0.068 ms

2: I get a green link light on my Xbox and an orange one on my PC?? I thought they whould be both green?

3: I have been setting a static IP of 192.168.0.1 through the network centre.

4:

[matthew@localhost ~]$ nmap 192.186.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-04-26 12:00 CST

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -PN

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.08 seconds

[matthew@localhost ~]$ nmap -PN 192.168.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-04-26 12:00 CST

Interesting ports on 192.168.0.3:

Not shown: 998 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE

21/tcp open ftp

23/tcp open telnet

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 14.17 seconds

[matthew@localhost ~]$

There we go, I'm afraid my networking skills are terrible. Ian thank you so much.

Well, since we have ping and link lights we have network connectivity. And the nmap showed that port 21 is open for accepting ftp connections.

Best way now, would be from console to do:

ftp 192.168.0.3

then login with your username and password, and post the output so we can see what happened - if username/password failure or something else.

Green usually indicates 100mbps

Orange usually indicates 1gbps

Yellow usually indicates 10mbps

Could be a speed/duplex mismatch from your machine with the orange light. Using mii-tool on this machine should tell us what the link information is and what was detected. Here's mine:

esprit:/home/ian# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

so 100mbps for mine and link light is green - but this is to a network switch rather than direct to another machine.

[matthew@localhost ~]$ ftp 192.168.0.3

Connected to 192.168.0.3.

220 Please enter your login name now.

502 auth is not implemented.

Name (192.168.0.3:matthew): xbox

331 Password required for xbox.

Password:

230 User xbox logged in , proceed.

Remote system type is UNIX.

Using binary mode to transfer files.

Ftp>

[root@localhost matthew]# mii-tool

eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

So, it appears its ok.

I reloaded filezilla, and rather than quick connect, I made a new host/connection, and it connected fine.

File transfer was amazingly fast for most of it, but at times horribly slow. A few of the files are corrupted on the xbox, so I'm hoping this was the reason for the shockingly slow transfer.