How to connect on internet via router [solved]

silverCM

In order to setup wired connection do:

• type "mcc" in a console
  • enter administrator password
  • navigate to: Network & Internet >> Set up a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL...)
  • choose "Ethernet" and fallow wizard instructions

Good luck!

I try that but it doesn't working. I try to put the IP on my router in browser and it can't connect with router (to give the user name and pass for entry). I have Windows XP on the same computer (dual boot) and the XP has good connection on internet but not with Mandriva.

I've never had that type of connection, so I can't give you first-hand knowledge on this. I would suggest that you install the rp-pppoe package from the official Mandriva repos. Then go to > Network & Internet > Set up a new network interface (LAN, ISDN, ADSL...) > DSL > Select your network interface to configure > Please select your provider. If your provider isn't listed, then you select > Unlisted – edit manualy > select 'PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)' > fill in your access settings.

Here's some more info on this: doc.mandriva.com

Please let us know if you have any problems.

If the router is manaing the PPPoE connection, then you just need to configure an ethernet connection from your PC to the router - since the router will be doing the username/password authentication for this type of connection. If it's not a router, and just a USB attached modem, then you need to configure with the PPPoE packages installable in Mandriva.

When you are setting up in MCC to connect via a router, you are most likely making the common mistake of selecting ADSL. That is incorrect, you must select LAN and NOT ADSL.

It should only be a case of making a few clicks through and not fiddling around with PPP*** or what ever.

Have used LAN for the past 5 years and have NEVER had to stuff around, despite numerous rebuilds and even dozens of installs.

Cheers. John.

As said before, you don't have to configure any login details when using a router. The dialin/out is managed by the router, and all you have to do is setting your computer as DHCP client (if the router DHCP server is active), or set static IP, and the gateway address, if using static nodes at your LAN (I certainly prefer static, as it's simpler to set up, and it's also easier to configure services to be accesible from the web, but this can be also set via DHCP- just a tad trickier).

The username/password for internet connection have to be set just in your router's web interface, and nowhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply but I find my friend who knows the problem and he helped me. The problem was bad configured network... thank you guys anyway for the fast reply from everyone. Have a nice time...

Edited by silverCM