Yahoo pulls the plug on Geocities

ianw1974

The other problems with the social networking is that your office is probably watching you too. Been several cases in the news, woman from Switzerland of most recent was sacked because she was off work with migraine, but was browsing and logging into social networking sites on her mobile phone whilst in bed. Or the comments people made about their work, then they got sacked because they weren't favourable of the company they worked for.

In all, it's a case of no social networking sites, or just don't write too much stuff on there that you wouldn't want people to read, like your boss, or whatever else. For me, I couldn't care for the sites much and whilst I'm a member of linkedin or xing or facebook, I hardly log in there, and I hardly write anything if anything. Too much info is also bad for identity theft.

people who have nothing to conceal pick Fasebook or similar, other can make other choices.

Let's not even start with the whole "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" rubbish, that's the dumbest frase ever coined, anyone who believes it, deserves all the consequences he/she will get because of it. :wall:

Rubbish, I completely disagree with you :closedeyes:

Social networks allow people who couldn't meet each other in normal circumstances to socialize, and that is a huge benefit of such networks. No one makes you to create an account, you don't like - don't go there.

You may disagree, but it is true. It have been in the media especially burglars use it, because dumb people are actually writing where they live. Then they write they are taking a vacation to <insert> place in <insert> week/month/date. When they came home, everything was gone.

I dea behind it such sites are good, no doubt. But don't be mistaken, if it can be misused it will be misused (like everything else).

By the way what happen to using phone, e-mail, skype etc. to keep in touch?

There is a big difference between using social networks and being generally dumb, you know. Everything you do you must do with your head. One doesn't have to post pictures of his house, his address and a number of bank account. Those who do stupid things in facebook - deserve it. Poor decision making.

There is a certain group of people with whom i maintain a close relations and i have their telephone numbers. There are people i met or worked with for short periods of time. They are great guys and galls, yet we do not meet too often, some are even abroad. It is nice to hear from them from time to time. For that i use various social networks. Does it make we stupid too?

Let's not even start with the whole "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" rubbish, that's the dumbest frase ever coined, anyone who believes it, deserves all the consequences he/she will get because of it.

Watch it man, mind your attitude. Maybe i know where you live and i just might come and get you :ph34r:

(just joking...)

Edited by ilia_kr

There are people i met or worked with for short periods of time. They are great guys and galls, yet we do not meet too often, some are even abroad. It is nice to hear from them from time to time. For that i use various social networks. Does it make we stupid too?

That's what i use email for, much less hassle (no need to log onto another website to check for messages and to post updates), and I can choose who I bore with which specific details of my life.

Also no central database (like facebook) that knows everything about me, my contacts, when I log on and so on...

(yes I know, in various countries email server logs are kept for various amounts of time, but that's still not the same as it's different servers belonging to companies all over the world and no, I don't use yahoo or gmail or similar services).

Edited by tux99

So you don't like social network, does it mean they are bad? I don't care if someone stores what ever i post there, i just do not post important things.

Do you think that all on-line services are part of a world conspiracy, planning to abuse you and take over your life? :) Like in movies?

So you don't like social network, does it mean they are bad?

I do like and use many social networks, like for example Mandrivausers.org!

I don't like and don't see the point of facebook for the reasons given in my previous posts, email works best for me to keep in touch with less close friends, or that live far away.

I don't care if someone stores what ever i post there, i just do not post important things.

I guess everyone has his hobbies and preferences of what to do in their spare time, personally I don't have that much time to waste on building a 'fan-page' of myself or to broadcast all boring (for others) details of my life to everyone I have ever met.

There is a big difference between using social networks and being generally dumb, you know. Everything you do you must do with your head. One doesn't have to post pictures of his house, his address and a number of bank account. Those who do stupid things in facebook - deserve it. Poor decision making.

You'll be surprised how many people who actually do it, and they are normal people without being dumb in general sense. But the fact is most people are computer/it-an-alphabet despite they use the technology every day.

According to you, social networks (facebook in particular) are bad because there are people who do stupid things despite not being generally dumb? Excuse me but this is nonsence :)

Don't like it - don't do it, but don't you call things others like stupid!