Ubuntu 9.04 is out!

well after a couple of days:

Ubu-nut Jaunty installed.

Tbird for work email (expected) although a couple of glitches around local "user" addons installed vs system wide addons installed

Evolution for exchange (average)

Clearlooks blue, Neu! icons, cairo-dock .. .gets me out of the orange world (ok .. but not great)

some compiz stuff turned on, but not too much

PSI (love PSI :) even in the windows world)

KVM with a fully fledged vista 64 install .. fairly painless (very nice, and quite a surprise)

tried:

fvwm, but couldn't find any nice themes, and I've lost my one from years ago

xfce .. results as expected

rdesktop for Outlook/Exchange .. sucked arse, big time

KVM/vista for Outlook/Exchange .. sucked arse

rdesktop and KVM for office apps ( word, excel etc) .. sucked !

Open Office .. .average.

Might try:

e17 .. holy cow batman ... check this out ( http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/ReleaseSchedule )

fvwm again, if I even find a non-fugly theme :)

KVM again, if I can get a "seamless" integration

My only thought vs Mandriva is: Does MDV support nvidia drivers out of the box?

If it does, then there is really no difference between the two distros from a desktop users point of view.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Notifications are intended as nothing more than a manner of informing the user that something happened, that they may not be aware of. Once it tells you, they should disappear (after a set amount of time). This is how most notification systems I've seen have worked. Unfortunately, they all suck in that they have no flood control (that I've seen) - i.e., in OS X, if I'm uploading files via Cyberduck and my connection dies I get a screen full of errors (one for each file that fails) from Cyberduck via Growl.

Hence, for me, notifications get turned off until someone (not it) does a better implementation.

Which is sort of my point if I cant do anything about dont bother (youare not bothering because you turned notifications of completely). 

Anyway to repeat linux has a fairly decent notification system, why change it,to something which has less features (and probably more bugs) than the present system. 

My only thought vs Mandriva is: Does MDV support nvidia drivers out of the box?

If it does, then there is really no difference between the two distros from a desktop users point of view.

ermm this is a joke or you meant to say Does ubuntu support nvidia drivers out of the box?, right? No seriously because previously you would always need to hunt for nvidia drivers on ubuntu, since 8.10 has dkms it's a little better but it's still no mandriva (I have never seen a driver upgrade in ubuntu, never, whilst in mdv I always have the latest drivers without hassles)

for many years mdv has installed proprietary driver out of the box for one and powerpack whilst ubuntu only gave free drivers....

Edited by ffi

the fact you say driver updates never happen is of concern, but "out of the box" I've got drivers

aptitude search nvidia | grep ^i
i   nvidia-173-modaliases		   - Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org dri
i A nvidia-180-kernel-source		- NVIDIA binary kernel module source		
i A nvidia-180-libvdpau			 - Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
i   nvidia-180-modaliases		   - Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org dri
i   nvidia-71-modaliases			- Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org dri
i   nvidia-96-modaliases			- Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org dri
i   nvidia-common				   - Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers			  
i   nvidia-glx-180				  - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver				 
i A nvidia-settings				 - Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics dr

ermm this is a joke or you meant to say Does ubuntu support nvidia drivers out of the box?, right? No seriously because previously you would always need to hunt for nvidia drivers on ubuntu, since 8.10 has dkms it's a little better but it's still no mandriva (I have never seen a driver upgrade in ubuntu, never, whilst in mdv I always have the latest drivers without hassles)

for many years mdv has installed proprietary driver out of the box for one and powerpack whilst ubuntu only gave free drivers....

You don't need to hunt for propriety in Ubuntu, no matter if it's for your video card to wireless. You simple go to the System tab > Administration > Hardware Drivers. Then it search/scans for possible propriety drivers which you may need.

hardware.png

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

What are you all arguing over again?

Mandriva: provides proprietary drivers

Ubuntu: provides proprietary drivers

Conclusion: stop arguing. :P

Edited by tyme

hush up about nvidia .. lets talk about enlightenment :)

post-3-1240954658_thumb.png

Nice!

By the way, there was a cool gadget for E17 (can't remember its name), very futuristic, where you could pick system tool etc. Is it still there?

but IMHO their own filemanager should be fixed ASAP.
Keep in mind e17 is a Window Manager, not a Desktop Environment, so I would imagine the file manager is not high on their priority list.