Ubuntu 9.04 is out!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats to them.

Lets hope the imminent release of Mandriva 2009.1 won't go unnoticed among all the Ubuntu related hype that will surely be swamping the news and reviews sections of online and offline IT magazines in the next few weeks...

Mandriva needs strong PR!!

Tried this on my wife's Aspire one last night, works like a dream compared to the preinstalled Linpus Lite distro (even though I was running Ubuntu on a memory stick and not the internal SSD). Yeah there's a couple of known bugs, but they are hardly deal breakers and one of them we have a work around if need be.

Good job (ooh, I feel dirty for just saying that :lol2:).

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I hate the new notification system though, They appear on the wrong part of the screen (top right, whilst my noticiation area is bottom right), I cant seem to click them away, so they are just there blocking my view. When using pidgin, it isnt possible to see the network status because pidgin notifications are appearing, clicking on pidgin notifications does nothing...who thought of this stupid system...it is a serious usability regression...

On my system notifications have always appeared in the top right :huh:

Assuming you mean Gnome, since that's what I'm using. And this has been the same regardless of distro, Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva.....

I prefer them in the top right than on the top left or anywhere else though. It's silly to stay it's stupid though just because it doesn't conform to your standard of bottom-right. I expect it can be altered and changed to bottom right though. Although I expect most of your problems are to do with pidgin than anything else. I could never get their notifications changed to any particular place. It was better though when using pidgin guifications plugin.

I changed to a single bottom panel setup, instead of the space wasting 2 panel setup, I moved the notification area but the notification seem hardcoded (or some pretty hidden config) to appear in the default top right.

It has nothing to do with pidgin either, this is by design and a very annoying design, I really hope this gets dropped and instead libnotify gets some live to make them look nicer... 

instead of the space wasting 2 panel setup
Because those 32 or so pixels (less/more depending on your settings) are absolutely vital, and needed on a regular basis. Without those few pixels the desktop would just be totally unusable. You wouldn't be able to get ANYTHING done.

Perhaps you should look into GNOME's settings for the notification service. It seems the problem is there, not with Ubuntu, as this seems to be distro independent, and they may have a setting where you can tell it which corner to display them in. If not, turn 'em off - I always do. Stupid things are damn annoying, and if you think the 2 panel setup is space wasting I'm not sure why you would want notifications.

Edited by tyme

Well it is a problem when you have a small ultrawide screen and I don't like top panels period

Perhaps you should look into GNOME's settings for the notification service. It seems the problem is there, not with Ubuntu

This is per design, just as the fact that they are non-interactive, those are just about the only notifications I don't want to see

Another thing: they seem to have ripped out the functionality to switch between mutliple sound devices out of the volume applet, I can see it on upstream screenshots and it's there in mdv

Edited by ffi

installed yesterday on my work system.

I can say this:

evolution works well with exchange (so far .. not thoroughly test)

Gnome is just like it used to be

The colours are the same as they used to be

I reckon the linux desktop is a bit like coronation street. You can take a 3 year hiatus, with no involvement whatsoever, but after 10 minutes of returning you're all caught up on the story line, and it is as if you had ever gone :)

I'm going on a hunt this weekend for something different ... I read some posts from tyme about "dock" type thingees, screenlets, I'm re-researching fvwm themes etc ... I'm just incredibly bored with the same old, same old ... I need a change :)

I reckon the linux desktop is a bit like coronation street. You can take a 3 year hiatus, with no involvement whatsoever, but after 10 minutes of returning you're all caught up on the story line, and it is as if you had ever gone :)

Not if you are a KDE user...

Well it is a problem when you have a small ultrawide screen and I don't like top panels period

This is per design, just as the fact that they are non-interactive, those are just about the only notifications I don't want to see

Another thing: they seem to have ripped out the functionality to switch between mutliple sound devices out of the volume applet, I can see it on upstream screenshots and it's there in mdv

So because it doesn't conform to your standards, it must be set by default with no notifications and one panel at the bottom and no top panel? :huh:

Just do what other people would do and delete the panel you don't want and disable the notifications. Why should it have to be set your way and have it forced on everyone else? Tyme has it right, he disables it when he doesn't want it and doesn't force his ideals on anyone else.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...mp;aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gnome+dis...art=10&sa=N

this gave some results. Maybe check it out than complain that you don't like it. Sure some other people have complained about it too, but some like these types of information.

And if that's too hard, here's something I found:

esprit:/home/ian# aptitude search notification-daemon
i A notification-daemon							- a daemon that displays passive pop-up notifications	 
p   notification-daemon-xfce					   - a daemon that displays passive pop-up notifications	 
esprit:/home/ian# aptitude remove notification-daemon

no more notifications ;)

Well, it should do if I actually removed it, but I didn't want to remove it from my Debian installation. But the same command would apply to Ubuntu - and I dunno it it'll take some dependencies with it. Check it out anyhow.

I've just installed Xubuntu 9.04 in a Vmware VM, and I have found the same things that distracted me from the previous release being there: too many GNOME dependencies, sub-par system integration.

IMO using the same material the Mint developers offer a much better DE (although Mint XFCE4 will take a few days to be released).

I won't complain anymore about the login manager (Slim does not work properly with the new xorg releases, and it's not PAM-aware, and since there have not been any development with it since some eight months ago it should be considered as dead meat, unless someone forks it- so the most natural solution for ease of use is GDM), but even when coming to the regular apps that are glued to the DE, most of them are too GNOME dependent.

All that said, the DE does work quite well, and I've not encountered any segfaults/crashes yet (which is rather natural, considering the conservative nature of XFCE4).

Edited by scarecrow

So because it doesn't conform to your standards, it must be set by default with no notifications and one panel at the bottom and no top panel? :huh:

I am saying Ubuntu's notifications suck big time compared to the default gnome and I hope it will never make it into gnome or worse as a freedesktop.org standard. Notifications need to be interactive, else do not bother with them.

Notifications need to be interactive
Notifications are intended as nothing more than a manner of informing the user that something happened, that they may not be aware of. Once it tells you, they should disappear (after a set amount of time). This is how most notification systems I've seen have worked. Unfortunately, they all suck in that they have no flood control (that I've seen) - i.e., in OS X, if I'm uploading files via Cyberduck and my connection dies I get a screen full of errors (one for each file that fails) from Cyberduck via Growl.

Hence, for me, notifications get turned off until someone (not it) does a better implementation.

Edited by tyme