A Linux Distro for Barbie?

spinynorman

Found this interesting link on PCLinuxOnline - http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/barbieOS.htm

Mattel's Chief Software Architect, Maury Cesterino:

"Most girls up through adult women become frightened and confused, often hysterical when presented with a traditional command prompt," Cesterino explained, "therefore the console program available through the B-Menu in BarbieOS features pink text on a flowered background..."

Order early for Christmas! :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow:

I have to admit I went from horror at first reading the post to wow.

This is massive ... all those kids growing up knowing something OTHER than MS ...

OK, I can't say I am much interested in the native linux games they'll be developing but this is the worst news for M$ in history....

People are brainwashed into the M$ way from an early age and then find something which is fundamentaly much simpler (like linux) intimidating.

By the time they reach 11 the projected upper age range of BarbieOS they will have such a expectation of an OS they will never accept M$...

I'm sure my 7yr old daughter would love something like this. Not because it's Linux, she wouldn't care, she's a kid. It's Barbie, it could not run or run like crap, what girl wouldn't want to have a Barbie computer? Hopefully it runs well, the downloads are easy and suddenly you have more Linux converts!? Isn't that what it's all about anyways :wink: That may be a pipe dream, but if the moms and dads take a look at the machine, and find it user friendly (in linux? lol) who knows, maybe they'll upgrade to {insert your favorite distro here}. I may just have to look at downloading this, if it runs on my daughters pc. Mine plan with her pc was to wine win98 off, install mdk and wine, then reinstall her games, none of which require directx or opengl. Now maybe I can get her thast pink pc she wants. Or maybe just get that new Windows No operating system instead? Either way I can't miss :lol:

Mattel's Chief Software Architect, Maury Cesterino:

"Most girls up through adult women become frightened and confused, often hysterical when presented with a traditional command prompt," Cesterino explained, "therefore the console program available through the B-Menu in BarbieOS features pink text on a flowered background..."

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

What a load of $hit. Just more stereotyping for females. I'd like to meet the guy in person and then he'd quickly find out how hysterical *I* could make him. :twisted:

understanding of female limitations

That kind of statement is truely insulting. The only limitations we have are the ones society puts on us with the constant brainwashing and THAT has been proven with numerous studies. We are given all sorts of message growing up and even as adults. Why don't they build a Ken version for boys? :roll:

Hmm.. Barbie Linux.. that could be interesting.. a linux version geared specifically for adolescent girls.. with flowers and stuff..

Not that I am going to buy it of course.. download it for free, maybe.. but not buy.. I don't like Barbie that much and can't find what's so special about Barbie dolls.

. I don't like Barbie that much and can't find what's so special about Barbie dolls.

Your not supposed to, your a boy. :lol: :lol: :P

Hmm.....Im beginning to think this thread should be in "Off topic"

come on - surely this is a joke? They don't really think that girls are scared of consoles or need circular windows.

Either you guys already figured this out and are all being sarcastic or...

I simply can't believe this is serious. Maybe Matel are releasing something that runs Linux(or maybe not) - but the rest of this article is just so silly it must be a joke

Edit: I also think the digs being made at ladies are just intended as a joke - in fact that's part of what convinces me this is all a joke...