3com gigabyte ethernet

raenius

Steve Scrimpshire: (or anyone) I know you said that you haven't tested the 3com gigabit ethernet but maybe you can answer my quesion anyway. I grabbed the drivers from the cd and compiled them. The ethernet works great only problem is that I have to manually run make load -> ifup eth0 everytime I want to get the network up. Not a big deal but I was wondering if there is a way to install the drivers so that Mandrake can recognize and load them on it's own. I could easily write a script to do the steps i do during boot up but wanted to know 'the proper' way to do it.

Thanks

Do you have an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file? As an example, mine looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=192.168.1.1

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

ONBOOT=yes

This is the eth card connected to my Lan and is the server, so yours might be different.

[edit] Is there anyway for a Mod to split this off, so we're not hijacking the thread? I think the info we'll get from resolving this needs to be public and not PM'ed, but out of this thread. Thx. :)

Ok, I decided to actually get mine running (I was running with my PCI network card) and this is what you have to do. Go into the directory where you do make load and do type this as root (you can copy and paste mine into the terminal....if you don't know how to paste into the terminal window, it's leftclick-drag to highlight my text then go to the terminal window and click the middle mouse button where you want to paste):

cp *.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net && depmod -a

Then doing

modprobe 3c2000

should load the module. Then you can open /etc/modules.conf and add this line:

alias eth0 3c2000

and that will load the module automagically whenever the network starts. Do a

service network restart

if you don't believe me. ;)

I was away for a bit so sorry for not replying sooner.

I will try it as soon as I get home and post my results.

Since Mandrake didn't detect the network card on it's own I manually edited/created the ifcfg-eth0 file to get it to work when I typed the ifup command.

Thank you for taking the time to set this up on your computer to help me out :)

Edgar.

Okay, came home and tried it. Guess What? It works great. (Not that I didn't believe you) Steve I can't thank you enough. :) Maybe I was just being lazy but this really makes my life a little easier. Oh and I learned something handy for the future thanks.. :D