Wine Doors Crashing

Allright well on my way making my first steps in Mandriva ... Ran in to a second problem (First one is the Lexmark-printer that just won't work) I can't seem to solve after severall hours of research :unsure:.

When starting Wine Doors all I get is the first-boot screen, where I enter my name check the 'i have a valid windows license' box then click proceed the buttons grey out and nothing happens. The bar that should fill up just states idle.

Sofar I've tried other versions of Wine & Wine Doors, and deleting the .wine doors folder in my home-directory but all with the same result.

I've included the log I found in the Wine Doors folder

2009-04-21 16:20:13 Info: Created log file: wine-doors.log

2009-04-21 16:20:13 Debug: in path: /home/maarten/.wine-doors

2009-04-21 16:20:13 Info: Started logging session

2009-04-21 16:20:13 Debug: Xoring all/installed to create available

2009-04-21 16:20:14 Info: Checking wine drive: /home/maarten/.wine

I've had this with an older version of wine-doors. What version do you have installed?

rpm -qa | grep -i wine-doors

I downloaded a later version from the wine-doors website and installed this and it worked better for me. I think latest version I tried was 0.13. When I had it crash on me, I had to remove the .wine directory as well as the .wine-doors directory.

Something I did that works better is this.

1. Run winecfg and click OK once done. This will create a .wine directory if it doesn't exist.

2. Run wine-doors and use for installing Internet Explorer or something.

When I did it like this, it generally worked better for me - but also when I had the latest version from the wine-doors website.

I'm running wine-doors-0.1.2-4mdv2009.0 . Well I found the Wine-doors website but I get a unsatisfied pygtk2-libglade-error when installing the latest 1.3.1-version.

By the way. How can i completely remove wine, like all the settings and folders of my failed experiment to start over with a clean wine? Because uninstalling through installing/removing software and additionaly searching and removing all wine entries doesn't seem to do the trick?

All you need to do is remove the .wine and .wine-doors folders/directories. Then there is no config. As I mentioned, it's best to get the .wine folder set up first running winecfg before you use wine-doors. I had lots of problems with 0.12, but 0.13 works well for me.

All you need to do is remove the .wine and .wine-doors folders/directories. Then there is no config. As I mentioned, it's best to get the .wine folder set up first running winecfg before you use wine-doors. I had lots of problems with 0.12, but 0.13 works well for me.

what happens if I use

urpme wine wine-doors

and then I delete .wine and .wine-doors folders and reinstall it using urpmi? I do that when I want to start from scratch but I don't know if it makes troubles or not....I do that because when I used to delete .wine and .wine-doors directories and run the applications it begins to search for .wine and .wine-doors...so I thought it would be better unstalling first...

does it makes trouble? :unsure:

what happens if I use

urpme wine wine-doors

and then I delete .wine and .wine-doors folders and reinstall it using urpmi? I do that when I want to start from scratch but I don't know if it makes troubles or not....I do that because when I used to delete .wine and .wine-doors directories and run the applications it begins to search for .wine and .wine-doors...so I thought it would be better unstalling first...

does it makes trouble? :unsure:

There shouldn't be any problem doing it that way. If anything it should guarantee a clean reinstall.

There'd be no need to remove the packages. It's the config directories that are more important. Removing wine and wine-doors will just remove the executables. .wine and .wine-doors is sufficient to remove from your user directory.

Repositories shut down until further notice

Submitted by klattimer on Thu, 04/16/2009 - 16:37

I'm sorry to say, after getting this months bandwidth bill in for wine-doors.org I'm going to have to pull the package repositories until I can raise about $200 to pay off my bandwidth bills.

Its been costing too much for too long without anyone chipping in a penny but me and a few straggled donators.

If you want to donate then click here

Thanks for any and all contributions.

Wine-Door is crashing because the repositories have been taken off-line.

Edited by Zac Medley

Yeah that is good, but I can't seehow wine-doors is dead when it's also actively maintained? Updates are released, last one wasn't too long ago either.

1. It isn't really "actively maintained". It took almost on year to go from 0.12 to 0.13, and the latter is as buggy as always, and more than that there are no repos currently (see last post by Zak Medley).

2. To my poor understanding, it's more dead than alive.

3. On the other hand, winetricks is just a BASH script (although it also has an ugly zenity sort-of-UI, best used when omitted) which is updated regularly, and does most things a wine installation needs in a pretty straighforward manner.

Edited by scarecrow

1. It isn't really "actively maintained". It took almost on year to go from 0.12 to 0.13, and the latter is as buggy as always, and more than that there are no repos currently (see last post by Zak Medley).

2. To my poor understanding, it's more dead than alive.

3. On the other hand, winetricks is just a BASH script (although it also has an ugly zenity sort-of-UI, best used when omitted) which is updated regularly, and does most things a wine installation needs in a pretty straighforward manner.

The repos are not online because he couldn't pay his bandwidth, since it was very popular. That's much different to "it's not maintained". I'm thinking of contributing to help him out and keep him going, because it's excellent product and works well - the new version works better than 0.12 ever did for me.

Yes, winetricks is OK, but I've generally had more problems with this than with wine-doors.

playonlinux might also be worth mentioning as an alternative

The only thing that I learned from using playonlinux, was that I didn't need playonlinux. Plus the icon looks idiotic.

The repos are not online because he couldn't pay his bandwidth, since it was very popular. That's much different to "it's not maintained". I'm thinking of contributing to help him out and keep him going, because it's excellent product and works well - the new version works better than 0.12 ever did for me.

I agree, I thought that wine-doors is/was awesome. I think in one of his blogs he also suggested the possibility of someone mirroring his repos.

But then, I might be the reason that his bandwidth for last month was so high, because I think I put IE6, Opera, DirectX 9c and some other bits on to about 4 of my units.

If anyone should help him pay his bandwidth it should be me... ;)