kernel update with mcc changed hd designation

oldwierdal

I updated my kernel this morning, and after it installed, I rebooted to the new kernel. Problem; MCC changed the hd information in /boot/grub/menu.lst from (hd0,5) {this is correct} to (hd1,5).

The following was the original menu.lst;

$ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

timeout 5

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/gfxmenu

default 0

title 2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb root=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=787

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb.img

ttitle 2.6.27.19-1

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.19-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.27.19-1 root=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=787

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.27.19-1mdv.img

After installing the new kernel, this was the menu.lst;

$ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

timeout 5

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

gfxmenu (hd1,5)/boot/gfxmenu

default 0

title 2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb

kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb root=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=787

initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb.img

title 2.6.27.19-1

kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.19-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.27.19-1 root=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=787

initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.27.19-1mdv.img

Ofcourse, it hung, looking for a non-existant partition. It took a second look to see the problem, and I was able to manually edit the boot config and get going again. I then edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to make it correct. Problem solved, in-so-far-as the machine is concerned. I can boot and run it.

However, I'd sure like to know why MCC rewrote the (hdx,x) info, and worse, why it wrote it wrong!! A newbie might have freaked out by this. Unless he spotted the wrong drive designation, and knew how to fix it, his machine would have been rendered useless.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen? I've searched the forum quite a bit, and haven't seen any posts on this problem. If I missed it, and started a new thread unnecessarily, I apologize.

Thanks for any feedback.

owa