AMD Catalystâ„¢ 9.4 proprietary Linux x86 driver

dexter11

Yes but, it (Catalyst 4) does not support many cards that were supported by the previous driver. Also, the new X server 1.6 does not support the previous Catalyst 3 drivers. A lose-lose situation for many of us.

The Linux ATI Catalystâ„¢ driver will only be supported in Linux distributions prior to February 2009 for the legacy products listed above.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...deonaiw_xp.aspx

Although I applaud AMD for their contribution and their efforts to provide an alternative to Nvidia, they simply must improve their support for their own hardware. It's no good leaving users 'high and dry' that leaves a bitter taste and discourages potential customers. -1 for AMD here. :(

FYI it doesn't compile at all with kernel 2.6.29, and AMD has no remedy for that yet, but I shouldn't expect more from them... :P

It also has some very annoying quirks with xorg 1.6.1, but I don't really bother- the only puter at home with an ATi videocard is the daughter's laptop, which is using the opensource driver and it's going quite well (albeit with no real hardware-assisted 3D).

IMO the only good reason for buying an ATi videocard is being a windoze diehard... their support for Linux sucks bigtime, and on OSX it's just marginally better.

Edited by scarecrow

The problem is that the opensource driver is all that remains for many of us (many many laptops; three here!). And like it or not, the opensource driver is only good for office work and adequate for viewing video, not for games nor for 3D effects which many users expect now.

Yves.

The problem is that the opensource driver is all that remains for many of us (many many laptops; three here!). And like it or not, the opensource driver is only good for office work and adequate for viewing video, not for games nor for 3D effects which many users expect now.

Yves.

True, but I have no intention at all to convert my daughter to Ubuntu to just use their crappy 3D driver (as Ubuntu is the one and only distro they officially support anymore).

Besides that, the performance of their driver remains lousy, even under Ubuntu.

Solution? Very simple: sell the laptop, and buy something Nvidia or Intel based. ATi is really a hopeless case.

I can abide the fact that they would stop updating drivers for a series of legacy GPUs. I cannot abide the fact that the existing driver will not work with Linux from here on out. The fact that Catalyst 4 does not support my 4 year old laptop bothers me, but not so much. The fact that Catalyst 3 will not work with X Server from here on out bothers me alot.

Selling and replacing my laptop is not an option just now.