Slackware

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

Ah yeah guess it would have helped it I'd told you that I only have one drive and its a CD-ROM, CD-RW and DVD-ROM drive. Sorry about that.

Tried the CD you suggested and get the same error.

/dev/hda3        swap             swap        defaults         0   0

/dev/hda2        /                ext3        defaults         1   1

/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,owner,ro  0   0

/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0

devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0

proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mahiles

Now I'm able to mount my ntfs partition and I figured it out all on my own (lol).. But only root can view the contents. Does this mean I need to change permissions of the folder it's mounted in or change something in /etc/fstab?

While I'm on the subject of permissions can I change the permissions of halt and mount? There 2 things I keep having to go to root to use and it's buggin me..

Thanks..

EDIT: I've solved my CD-ROM drive problem and I now have DVD playback (even though there seems to be error after error displaying in the console but it works non the less). So now I just need to know how to enable "Send EOF" for my printer and how to allow me and not just root to access my ntfs partition..

Now I'm able to mount my ntfs partition and I figured it out all on my own (lol).. But only root can view the contents. Does this  mean I need to change permissions of the folder it's mounted in or change something in /etc/fstab?

While I'm on the subject of permissions can I change the permissions of halt and mount? There 2 things I keep having to go to root to use and it's buggin me..

Thanks..

EDIT: I've solved my CD-ROM drive problem and I now have DVD playback (even though there seems to be error after error displaying in the console but it works non the less). So now I just need to know how to enable "Send EOF" for my printer and how to allow me and not just root to access my ntfs partition..

That's good you fixed your dvd, what does your /etc/fstab look like? Include your mount point for ntfs.

Guest mahiles
/dev/hda3        swap             swap        defaults         0   0

/dev/hda2        /                ext3        defaults         1   1

/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0

devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0

proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0

/dev/hda1        /mnt/windows     ntfs        ro               0   0

/dev/scd0        /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,user,ro   0   0

try adding this along with "ro"

ro,user,umask=0222

see if that will work? Your user id should already be a part of the users "group", but you can check that by viewing.

#more /etc/groups

Don't hack around in there to much! :wink:

Just a simple add you user name to the "user" line will do the trick. If that doesn't work, will have to play with some uid/gid settings.

Slack looks fun!!

Im tryin BSD next.............................

James

Slack is fun, simple. It can be a pain in the hinny too!

Go with FreeBSD, open is a little harder to work with. But, I haven't used them in a couple of years so things could have changed quite a bit. I might be throughing NetBSD on one of my Sparc64 box's to check it out.

Guest mahiles

Call me fussy but I just realised the following errors on startup and was wondering if anyone knows how to correct them..

/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: init_module: Invalid argument

/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz failed

/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: insmod agpgart failed