playing avi on mandriva

Guest zee86

Guest zee86

hi. im new to linux os and currently running an aspire one with mandriva 2009 on it. so far everything works fine but when i try to play an avi file on dragon player,i only get the the sound but i dont get the video. when i try to open the same file with movie player, the application opens and then just shuts down after a few seconds.

im a total newbie and i really dont know much about the codes to use or what to do to get the video working... any help would be really appreciated. thanks

[moved from Software by Greg2]

Have you added the PLF repos from this site https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php ?

If you have or after adding the PLF repo, then in Rpmdrake search for win32 and install them, if that don't help then your AVI can be broken.

But if the AVI file are on another partition, especially if it's a partition with FAT32 or NTFS, that can be the problem. I have tried that my self.

Hope this helps you

mplayer + win32codecs is the surest shot. Of course you can use any mplayer frontend, like Smplayer or Gnome-Mplayer (both being might good).

As said above, you will need mplayer from PLF (not the official repos) and the full win32codecs pack preferrably from the mplayer site.

AVI is a file that contains video and audio. Video can be in many formats. The same clip.

Most contained in a file AVI MPEG material in various forms.

Read the post and then run it from the console. Always make sure you use at the beginning of good applications as Mplayer, Xine or ffplay package ffmpeg... Lex

mplayer + win32codecs is the surest shot. Of course you can use any mplayer frontend, like Smplayer or Gnome-Mplayer (both being might good).

As said above, you will need mplayer from PLF (not the official repos) and the full win32codecs pack preferrably from the mplayer site.

yeah that's right I'm using mplayer and win32...and works...he could also try using VLC player.. :P :D

Guest zee86

so far i've downloaded all the codecs i need. i have win32 and i've downloaded vlc player as well still no good. all my software is updated so far i still get the same result. if i try to play an avi with mplayer or vlc, the program opens and then shuts down after a few seconds without playing anything. its still the same thing with dragon player, i get the audio but no video on the screen.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.