MDV 2009 blank screen when installing [solved]

Verplrke

I'm trying to install Mandriva Powerpack 2009 on my Acer Aspire 5920G.

After choosing to install Mandriva from the Boot menu. I get a black screen saying "probing edd" and then quickly going completely black. There is some disc activity afterwards for a few seconds but then it completely freezes.

When I choose text-install instead of graphical install the last lines are "PME# is disabled" and then the computer freezes.

I've tried some stuff like booting with edd=skipmbr and/or edd=off but this doesn't solve the problem.

I've managed to install Mandriva by changing the SATA-mode from ahci to IDE in the Bios. That made the install possible but I haven't been able to boot Mandriva as I get a similar blank screen after the bootloader now.

Plus switching to IDE-mode gives BOSD's in Vista, so I had to switch back to ahci.

Did you try any of the “standard†workarounds at install-time, such as noapic and/or nolapic ?

Someone here seems to have a similar problem, and says using the “VESA option†solved the issue for him, although he has to wait at each boot…

This seems to be a rare and troublesome problem! Maybe you should try and file a bug at qa.mandriva.com (after having checked that the problem is still in Mdv Cooker/2009.1) with as much detail as you can come up with.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti