update problems

kilimanjaro

I am trying to update gnutella. rpmdrake cannot find my older or newer version. do I need to remove the older version before I install the new one? Why won't rpmdrake work? I tried reinstalling rpmdrake and most of the mandrake update packages, and nothing has changed. Am I doing something wrong? I have tried getting updates and it tells me that all updates are installed. It has been saying this for about a month now. I would think that there would be some updates in that time.

how did you install gnutella in the first place? does the rpm database hold an entry? could you try this one

rpm -qa | grep gnutella

to see if rpm does recognize it.

assuming that it does, you can update the package manually by (all these steps are done in the commandline) changing to root user, via su or via a terminal that starts as root in the first place, going to the updated gnutella package, and issuing the following command

# rpm -Uvh <name of gnutella package>

this is assuming that

• you have downloaded the updated package file

[*] the names of the updated package and the one in the rpm db is the same (not sure about this though)

[*] you all the required dependencies

read the first line of my sig. ;)

ciao!

I typed in

rpm -qa | grep gnutella

and it replied

gtk-gnutella-0.92.0-0

I typed

rpm -Uvh gtk-gutella-0.92.1

and it did nothing as a regular user and as root it replied

error of gtk-gnutella-0.92.1 failed: no such file or directory

I downloaded 0.92.1 last night and extraced it.

It is in a file at /home/kilimanjaro/updates/gnutella.

I must be doing something wrong.

This started because the version of gnutella I am using will not connect to the net. So I downloaded the newest version. It came as a tar.bz2 file. I extracted the file , but there is no rpm file that I can find. I have tried following the instructions that came with the file and that doesn't work. I have strtugling with this for about 5 days now. When I extracted the file it created its own file, but I have it in a file titled gnutella the compleat path way is

/home/kilimanjaro/updates/gnutella/gtk-gnutella-0.92.1

But, there are 6 files inside of that one and I have no clue as to how to install this program.

The six files are

1. debian

2. doc

3. pixmaps

4. po

5. src

6. U

What is the next move?

How about downloading this file?

ftp://knight.zarb.org/pub/plf/cooker/i586...1-1plf.i586.rpm

and do the rpm -Uvh thingy on it.

If you want to try your hand at compiling the other, you need to cd into the src directory there and there will probably be a README or an INSTALL file in there to peruse. If not, give this a shot:

./configure && make && make install

When I try

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/cooker/i...1-1plf.i586.rpm

I get a black screen with no writing or images. If I hit refresh, I get another black screen with no writeing or images.

I am I cursed that nothing seems to work correctly? I fell pretty discouraged with the whole thing..

It still isn't working right.

I went to the http site and downloaded the rpm for gnuttella and the bug fix rpm, but it still isn't working correctly.

I think I have figured out what it is not doing. It is not allowing acces to other computers. There is an icon in the lower left which lets you disconnect form the net for search purposes, but downloads will continue. Is there some way to reset the program?