Super Grub Disk on USB

I decided it was time I caught up with the rest of the world and transferred some of my rescue/recovery programs from CD to USB. Puppy Linux is successful, Parted Magic is successful, Clonezilla/System Rescue is successful, but Super Grub Disk (SGD) is not. I just wondered if anybody here has a copy of SGD working properly from a USB key, and if so how you managed it.

Let me explain 'working properly'. Thing is, I can install, and boot SGD from my USB key, I can navigate through the mass of menus and 'help' that it throws up, but when I actually ask it to do anything involving other disks, it just stops. For example, if you look hard enough within the SGD menus you will find an entry 'Show Partitions'. If I select this the cursor moves to a new line and then - nothing! I know it is not searching for anything since there is no hard disk activity light on the PC (there is if I use the CD version). You can leave it as long as you like, it just stays there. It is not just that menu entry either, if I try one of the grub entries it says it is searching for '/boot/grub/menu.lst' (and others) but it does not do so, it just sits there until you shut it down.

It seems to me that although it is working, it is doing so in complete isolation, in other words it is totally unaware of any other disks on the machine.

Any ideas why that might be?