KDE 4.3

isadora

I hope that they somehow manage to improve KDE so that it uses less resources instead of more with each new release. I found 4.1 and 4.2 to be rather resources-hungry.

I hope that they somehow manage to improve KDE so that it uses less resources instead of more with each new release. I found 4.1 and 4.2 to be rather resources-hungry.

I quite happy with KDE 4.2, and haven't noticed that it seems to "hungry", but that's surely just me :D

But some improvement are a great wish from me too, and I'm sure that it will be improved for each release, it has been so far.

Let's hope the don't go just fast but also in the right direction, making KDE4 as configurable, intuitive and usable as KDE3.5 is/was...

For what i have understood is this new release mainly aimed towards improvement.

Edited by isadora

KDE 4.2.2 is WAY less resources-hungry than Gnome 2.2.6 (or 2.2.4).

On the other hand, GNOME is more usable right-out-of-the box, but it's still a pain in the butt to configure (the ony way is the utterly shitty gconf-editor, while the regular graphical configurator does not even touch the surface).

KDE 4.2.2 is WAY less resources-hungry than Gnome 2.2.6 (or 2.2.4).

On the other hand, GNOME is more usable right-out-of-the box, but it's still a pain in the butt to configure (the ony way is the utterly shitty gconf-editor, while the regular graphical configurator does not even touch the surface).

I guess you are talking about Gnome 2.24 and 2.26, right? Nobody uses 2.2.6 anymore. :P

Well, as you might know, I usually run Gnome and honestly, KDE uses way more RAM and CPU power than Gnome on my computers. (I switched from KDE to Gnome because KDE was becoming a RAM-Monster already years ago.) An example: In Gnome, I can run Compiz and at the same time run 3D-accelarated games like BZflag without the system going crazy. If I run KDE and launch the same game, then the whole system starts to choke, to get hiccups because too much power is drawn towads the desktop-enhancing effects. And no, my systems are not that outdated: System A: 1,67 Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 512 MB Nvidia card. System B :1 Ghz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 256 MB Nvidia, System 3: Dual Core 2,4 Ghz CPU, 4 GB RAM, 512 MB ATI. So... something is eating up the ressources in KDE :unsure: , way more than in Gnome - although Gnome also loves to eat RAM.

KDE 4.2.2 uses slightly more RAM than Gnome 2.26 (385 vs 415 MB here), but it barely goes over 3% CPU usage for regular tasks (QT apps), while GNOME uses significantly more (gtk apps). Add to that the fact Konqueror/Krusader/Dolphin etc are several times faster than Nautilus (which is rather a gtk vs. qt issue, because other filemanagers based on gtk+, like Thunar and PCManfm are still very slow compared to qt ones). Actually, KDE may end being slower and more demanding that Gnome, but this will be most probably attributed to a plasmoid leaking memory (unfortunately there are PLENTY of them- even officially approved, some of!).

Edited by scarecrow

...but this will be most probably attributed to a plasmoid leaking memory
That is quite probable. After all, KDE 4 is rather new, has a completely new code and thus new bugs which will need some time to get sorted out. The concept of KDE4 is very good IMO, but the implementation still needs some serious work before I will even consider a migration to KDE. But then... Gnome 3.0 is currently being developed. ;) Who knows, maybe it will be great, maybe it will be horrible. If both desktops begin to suck, I'll probably switch to Fluxbox, Windowmaker, Rox or IceWM. :D