IDE for C/C++

Hi all,

I have this small project I'm running at home where I need to develop a program in C. About a year and a half ago I worked with Anjuta 1.2 and was generally pleased. When I lately installed Anjuta 2.4 from the repos, I was surprised to see so many things are not working properly (for example, if one wants to open an old project generated in Anjuta 1.2, one gets an error message).

I decided to give Eclipse a chance, so I installed Eclipse and Eclipse-cdt packages. I couldn't compile C source, so I tried to install the C plugin also from Eclipse itself (the plugins manager in the Help menu). That didn't help also.

Finally I decided to work with CodeBlocks, which is nice, but doesn't have community support as much as Anjuta or Eclipse, and also doesn't have all the plugins compiled for mandriva.

Has anyone been developing in C with Anjuta or Eclipse on Mandriva successfully? If so, I'll post more details about the specific problems I encountered (I do not want to exhaust you...)

Thanks.

I wouldn't say I've "been developing" but I had a brief play just to do a proof-of-principle and see how it works, just to try it out. (I wrote a brief summary here which might be somewhat out of date now)

I didn't try anjuta or kdevelop but I did try eclipse (with which I'm already familiar for java development) with the cdt plugin. I didn't have any problems installing it or getting it to work but I remember I had to be careful to install the right version of cdt according to which version of eclipse I had. Apart from that, it just worked. Kind of neat, but I didn't have any burning need to write something in C or C++ so I didn't get any farther.

Also I'm not sure how those IDEs handle development with Qt, which is what I would really like to dig into (sometime) - Qt relies on a variety of non-standard stuff like pre-processing macros and I've no idea how well you can integrate those tricks with those general IDEs. But with the latest release of Qt I saw they've released their own IDE bundled with their development kit, which may be worth looking into if you're using Qt. I haven't tried this either, though.

Kde is/was built on QT and kdevelop worked quite well for developing all manner of compiled software. I have use it for C & C++ both with and without QT.

However I think kdevelop is called something else in KDE4.2

Tried Anjuta but found it very messy in the way it handled files and folders, yet it was the better one for developing GTK apps.

I use Eclipse at work, for daily Qt C/C++ development, and it works really well. But I had huge problems with C/C++ development using the Eclipse package in Mandriva repros.

But I downloaded the latest version from www.eclipse.org (I also downloaded the Qt eclipse integration from trolltech) and after that everything works perfectly.

You could also try Nokia/Trolltechs Qt Creator which I've just done some breif testing with but it seems quite good. Simple, but easy to use.

http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/appdev/...developer-tools

You could also try Nokia/Trolltechs Qt Creator which I've just done some breif testing with but it seems quite good. Simple, but easy to use.

http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/appdev/...developer-tools

Thanks, I downloaded and tried it, but I don't see how I can use this IDE for pure C development (not C++). Do you know if I can, and how? How do I open a C project (with no class definitions and all that)?

My mistake I didn't realise you had gnome installed, however just for you I am in the process of installing kdevelop 3.5 onto my laptop which is running on gnome desktop. I do need to install bunch of libs but not kde desktop stuff. I'll report back shortly.

It works a treat. If you want to produce a GUI app you may need to install GTK+ & glade, although I did notice something to do with being able to use QT widgets but I didn't take a lot of notice.

If you want a nice friendly IDE then I would suggest kdevelop 3.5

Not the fastest by any means, however by using the build and debug functionality then your development time is reduced.

Fairly easy to learn and if you want it extensive documentation.

Wow, I'm touched. Really, you shouldn't have. Here I am, sitting and playing around with IDE's for this minor project I'm doing as a favour to a friend, and you spend your time trying out things for me. :angel:

In the meanwhile I found in Qt-Creator's website FAQ section that it supports C++ only. Which is really a shame, because it makes a good first impression. With Nokia's support, I hope they will develop extensions to other languages.

I do not need GUI, and strong documentation is a good thing (CodeBlocks' is poor). So I may give it a try.

Thanks!

In the meanwhile I found in Qt-Creator's website FAQ section that it supports C++ only. Which is really a shame, because it makes a good first impression. With Nokia's support, I hope they will develop extensions to other languages.

Thanks!

But it will compile C code just as Eclipse does. Eclipse handles C code nicely.

But it will compile C code just as Eclipse does.

Are you sure? I'll be glad to know how, because I liked Qt-Creator.

After Clicking File -> New... Under Projects I choose "C++ library" (No option for C). Next screen I choose "Shared library", and in the next screen I am required to type in Class name (Field cannot be left blank). Plus it only creates files with cpp or h extensions. So I'll be really glad to hear what I'm doing wrong and how I can create a stand-alone program in C (not a library, a simple Hello World program. From there I'll manage).