windows decoration problem

daniewicz

I am running Mandriva 2008.1 with an older AGP 4X nvidia card and compiz 0.7.6. I frequently but not consistently see windows decoration problems like the one shown. The nvidia driver 169.12 is installed. Can anyone offer any suggestions to fix this?

post-6256-1238715579_thumb.png

I am running Mandriva 2008.1 with an older AGP 4X nvidia card and compiz 0.7.6. I frequently but not consistently see windows decoration problems like the one shown. The nvidia driver 169.12 is installed. Can anyone offer any suggestions to fix this?

why don't you read this compiz wiki...there are some commands used when you want to change your decorator..hope this help ;)

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Plugins/Decoration

Well I am not trying to change the windows decorations, just fix them so that they reliably work. :D

I have seen variations of this problem on 3 different computers running Mandriva 2008.1. The problem is most dramatic for the low end geforce4 AGP card I previously mentioned.

The nvidia driver 169.12 is installed.

I don't use compiz, but according to this 'very long' thread: nvnews.net

this issue appeared as a regression with 169.07, and has been fixed as of 180.06 or reverting to 169.04.

I've moved this from Software to Art and Design - that's where most of the compiz problems are located. :)

Thanks for the link Greg. B)

I am going to try the simpler Option "UseCompositeWrapper" "true" first and if that doesn't work look into updating the nvidia driver.

Since my problem is a bit hit and miss, it will take a few days before I am convinced if a solution is working or not. I will report back.

Well I tried "UseCompositeWrapper" "true" but that did not help.

Next I installed the latest nvidia driver. I have a GeForce FX 5200. Unfortunately, the newer 180.xx driver does not support the FX 5200, and thus I am stuck using the newest legacy driver 173.14.18. I installed this driver, but it did not resolve my problem.

I guess no compiz for me :angry:

Thanks Greg (although I don't know how you found that!)

I wan unable to install the 169.04 version. The nvidia installer said it could not find my kernel sources. The sources were found with no problem when I installed 173.14.18 :unsure:

I use only the MCC. All are making a mistake. Do not perform system commands to the end. MCC is able to install any card (nvidia) if you execute the command. The install kernel-devel, tools, everything you need and charge you at the end of the NVIDIA driver. I use dkms nvidia driver. Good luck ....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

Another update. On my newer machine with Mandriva 2008.1, I installed the 180.44 driver without any problem. This newer machine has a GeForce 7300 GT video card.

So we have the following:

GeForce 7300 GT + 180.44 = OK

GeForce FX 5200 + 180.44 = bad, card not supported

GeForce FX 5200 + 173.14.18 = OK, but windows decoration problems persist

GeForce FX 5200 + 169.04 = bad, kernel source cannot be found

I realize this is getting a bit confusing since I an talking about two different machines, both with Mandriva 2008.1 :P