Unable to find network interface for device

4di

Same post as here : https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=75104 but still not resolved, pls a bit of help .....

I've recently install mandriva 2009 on IBM server xSeries 205 and try to connect to internet on my network PC-switch-router-modem, and the following error ocured : "Unable to find network interface for selected device (using tg3 driver) " . I run Konsole and su root , and ifconfig :

[root@localhost adi]# ifconfig

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:76 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:5240 (5.1 KiB) TX bytes:5240 (5.1 KiB)

The green led is turned on on my network card, but the red one NO .... When I had windows 2000 instaled worked just fain ...

What can I do ....

Edited by 4di

How new is the server? I would say there is problem with tg3 module implementation or some other network module is overriding it. Check if a bcm module is loaded:

lsmod |grep -i bcm

How new is the server? I would say there is problem with tg3 module implementation or some other network module is overriding it. Check if a bcm module is loaded:

lsmod |grep -i bcm

# lsmod |grep -i bcm

returned nothing ....

Confirms that module tg3 is for this card:

http://hardware4linux.info/component/7420/

Ubuntu seems to work from that page. Perhaps download the Ubuntu Desktop Live CD and check to see if it sees your interface. If it does, this will confirm that your network card is a problem with Mandriva.

Checking Red Hat's hardware compatibility list, it showed only Red Hat 2.1 and Red Hat 3 as supported. You could download and test CentOS 4 or CentOS 5 and see if it works with this. Otherwise, perhaps your hardware is just too old and not supported with the newer tg3 module - like what happens with ATI's and NVIDIA's video cards - they are dropped from the new supported drivers/modules. Given the HCL, I'd say your hardware is too old. Perhaps install an Intel Network Card or 3COM one if you wish to purchase another network card and try that.

• 2 months later...
Guest gezimi

I have the same problem. I get the message from drakconnect: Unable to find the network interface for selected device (using e100 driver). There is anybody who can help me to solve this problem. thnx

Guest gezimi

who need the solve of my problem: $cd /etc $vi modprobe.conf add those lines: alias eth0 e100 (type enter for new line) options e100 eeprom_bad_csum_allow=1 debug=6