Sound themes

mittfh

Just wondering...

The ia_ora sound theme supplied with Mandriva contains just four sounds: startup, shutdown, error and notification. But interestingly within the theme's subfolder there are 'placeholders' (i.e. zero byte files ending in .disabled) for bell, dialog-information, message-new-email and trash-empty. Was there ever (or ever intended to be) a more complete set of sounds for ia_ora?

I know almost everything else can be provided by the default freedesktop sound theme, but are there any others out there? The only other theme I can discover through a Google search is one called "Borealis" - but given how customisable Linux is, surely there must be others I haven't discovered...

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hi mittfh, log into the following website....................http://www.kde-look.org/.................

and click on .....System Sounds.

There are loads to choose from and they cover all tastes. They can be used in Gnome as well so they are not KDE specific.

Cheers. John

Thanks for that - I've downloaded several so far, and am busy experimenting with a Pic'n'Mix approach :)

Meanwhile, I still find it slightly odd that in the ultra-competitive world of desktop environments, a bunch of GNOME users didn't set up a rival site to kde-look... :D

Huh... this means you don't like http://www.gnome-look.org/ ?

Why?

AFAIK you can find sites with eyecandy for pretty much any DE- even console! :lol2:

D'oh! (Searches in vain for a 'slapping own forehead' emotion, thinks :oops: might be a suitable alternative)

I should have twigged that if there was a "kde-look" there might possibly be a "gnome-look" as well... :)

(Notes that they're both hosted by opendesktop, who also host xfce-look, box-look, beryl-themes, compiz-themes, plus versions for Gentoo, openSuse and the Debian/Ubantu family - but not the RH/Fed/Man family)

(Adds bookmark - those sites might come in useful in future :))