Developers quit PCLinuxOS to start Unity Linux

spinynorman

Has anyone bothered to ask WHY Texstar went on hiatus? Perhaps he had a very valid reason for doing so. Maybe "real life" issues needed to be taken care of.
Perhaps he should have tell about his reason in the first place. And not just leave and then come back without a word.

Btw it's interesting to see how the child (PCLinuxOS) commits the same mistake (wrong management of community) as the parent (Mandriva). And how Mandriva became more and more community driven over the years bacuse of this while PCLinuxOS remained controlled by a small group until now, we'll see what will happen to them.

Perhaps he should have tell about his reason in the first place.
It really depends on what the reason was. If it was something very personal, perhaps health or family related issues, I can fully understand why he may not have shared it.

the really sad part is that the 2009 distro is really nice, if they could get the persistence working it would be a GREAT distro.

personally, having dealt w/ pclos for several years texstar has NEVER had vey good communications with the community.

I've seen posts and emails (financial emails) remain unanswered for WEEKS

thats why through everything i have stuck w/ MDV. I've seen what happens when the primary developer decides to take the ball and go home.

j

Perhaps he should have tell about his reason in the first place. And not just leave and then come back without a word.

Btw it's interesting to see how the child (PCLinuxOS) commits the same mistake (wrong management of community) as the parent (Mandriva). And how Mandriva became more and more community driven over the years bacuse of this while PCLinuxOS remained controlled by a small group until now, we'll see what will happen to them.

u should read http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=56185.0 , and http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=108548. It tells it all right there.Mandriva gotten closer to the community, with mandriva linux assembly, better moderating (sad adam had to go, but he has better job and pay at redhat) but germ and romain, they are great moderators, the mandriva forum seems to be going smoothly now, flames have not shown since the windows 7 thread, but the troll been banned and that seemed to make all the problems solved.Mandriva forum , ask a question, and its usually nicely and kindly answered, write a review, you arn't eat alive, pclinuxos forum on the other hand is way to sensitive and closed minded, and they thought of me as a troll with a 72/76 out of 100 review of pclinuxos (when i gave fedora 79 and suse a 48 on their home forums, they both respond kindly, fedora just giving their own points, and suse trying to help me out with my graphical hardware support issues, rahter then going with the "you don't understand what a rolling distro is!""Your parents failed!". Then when someone came in my defense finally, they were banned after 2 posts that weren't even offensive, just realism.Its probable one of the reasons why unity formed, as this thread shows it http://forum.unity-linux.org/thread-22.html

i just think the areas of why pclinuxos even formed they are experiencing now, and mandriva seemed to recover and is going strong, hopefully they can push it out into the fiscal reports as well

and they deleted the thread :P
Or just made it invisible to guests, whichever way a good move ;)

Particularly funny was the bit where they were saying (after being crazily hostile): "see how open to criticism we are? A year ago this thread would have been deleted!"

I wonder how many of the posters on that thread have now moved over to Unity?

Guest Spiral of Hope
Has anyone bothered to ask WHY Texstar went on hiatus? Perhaps he had a very valid reason for doing so. Maybe "real life" issues needed to be taken care of.

If it was personal then he should have wrote something like "I won't be here for personal\family\health reasons". It doesn't have to be any more specific than that.

As I understand, it was an illness. All the developers were told this up front and knew. It was/is a rather touchy subject and people were naturally private about it. Maybe an official statement might have been bad for community morale? I dunno.

I didn't know about it until a couple of weeks ago. I just knew that something felt really wrong with the distro's progression. Something felt really wrong when mypclinuxos traded hands so suddenly.

If he does not like the current iteration that the developers created, then he should apply his ideas to the next release. Even so, he could still upset the developers if he takes off in a different direction going forward.

I don't think that direction was ever an issue. There was most of a direction/plan that everyone knew and agreed on. The developers worked on that plan, voting on everything amicably. Then this new person who had been given all the keys to the castle decided to play dictator. That was the last straw for the remaining devs.

- some had already left much earlier (like devnet / mypclinuxos)

- I think (not sure) that some left when things really slid downhill because of the dictator

- some (maybe all, not sure) stayed on to make sure that 2009 would be completed, and then they left

Even then, the devs who left were professional about it.

Most had already made up their minds to leave well before Texstar returned.

Actually, while we're on the topic, some of the Unity Linux founders aren't and were never PCLinuxOS devs, and they get pretty touchy at being lumped in with this drama or Unity Linux's assumed association with PCLinuxOS.

When Texstar decided to take his hiatus, he should have clearly spelled out what would happen when he came back (that is *assuming* he did not clearly spell this out). That way the developers could not claim to be blindsided (if they were).

Not a decision, he was sick.

No real need to spell out what would happen, the devs were left on auto-pilot and had lots of work to do.

His returning must have seemed strange, because it went from zero communication to Texstar reappearing and working like a fiend.

The odd dictator-girl and disagreeable forum moderation were what blindsided a lot of people.

That blog entry has now disappeared. Pity, I would like to have read that to get another perspective.

Nothing that touched the internet is ever gone. =)

google cache

I've been the sysadmin for PCLinuxOS for a while now. Keeping up with servers and syncing repositories as well as assisting in the processing of donations to keep our Premium Access Server going. All this at the request of the head developer.

He left me in charge of his 'baby' while he's on hiatus. It's a daunting task to keep all the server for one of the most popular linux distros going at full speed and updated without any downtime, but I love how it all works together.

Only problem was the 'boys'. They didn't realize the trust that the big jefe had placed in me as he handed me the keys to his 'Kingdom'. He not only handed over all the keys, but made me admin over all he has. Why couldn't they just accept his trust in me, instead of going 'behind closed doors' to plan what direction they were headed in next?

It all boiled down to me stopping the release of this year's offering until 'the man' had had a chance to look it over. He wasn't totally happy, and it took almost two weeks to get it in suitable shape for release. In the meantime they stomped out the door, and took a lot of people with them based on lies.

Now we start the task of opening up to the community whereas before everything was done or controlled by a small group. Tasks are being divided up into sections, and teams are being assembled so this very thing cannot happen again (hopefully).

I'm also contacting various groups to see if anyone would like to come and join us to keep this Dream alive. Women versed in linux packaging (rpm) are welcome to contact me. Let's get over the political hump and open up linux to a whole new generation.

CSolis

Well here we go again, another fork... :unsure:

I can make the official statement that Unity Linux is not a fork of PCLinuxOS.

I wonder how many of the posters on that thread have now moved over to Unity?

Probably a few. Heck, seven remaster communities are coming over. =)

Edited by Spiral of Hope