Submit Forms On-line

mystified

I've been checking into the two methods of submitting on-line forms. The first and easiest of course being via email. I coded my page that way only to find out that Opera doesn't support it. It works in IE though. :evil:

The other being via cgi. I spent three hours this morning using google and couldn't find one decent site that explained how this methods works. Help?

TIA

you mean like a "send me an email" page ???

do you have php running , coz I can right something pretty quickyl that will email something to you, if thats what you want.

<?

$title="LOUDAS.COM :: CONTACT";

$title2="Contact :: paul(at)loudas.com";

include("header.php");

// Where to send to?

$email = "paul@loudas.com";

// The subject of the e-mail you get if the form subject has been supplied:

if($subject=="") {

$subject = "You've got mail from http://loudas.com";

}

// Thank you message

function ShowThanks($firstname, $lastname, $subject, $from, $message, $REMOTE_HOST, $REMOTE_ADDR)

{

global $title2;

?>

<!--//  Main Page Heading -->

<div class="page-heading"><?=$title2?></div>

<p class="general-text">

</p>

<div class="coding-text">

<span class="coding-text">Thank You. This is the message that was sent</span>

<br />

<?

echo "n$firstname $lastname wrote:n<br />$messagen<br /><br />---------n<br />Came from host: $REMOTE_HOSTn<br />IP Adress: $REMOTE_ADDRn<br />Email Address: $from";

?>

</div>

<?

}

$nofirstname = "Your Firstname is required";

$nolastname = "Your Lastname is required";

$nofrom = "Your Email address is required";

$wrongmail = "You've filled in an incorrect Email address, try {your name}@your_internet_provider.com";

$nomessage = "You haven't filled in a message";

function makeTheForm()

{

global $era, $erb, $erc, $erd, $ere, $nofirstname, $nolastname, $nofrom, $wrongmail, $nomessage, $HTTP_POST_VARS, $title2;

?>

<!--//  Main Page Heading -->

<div class="page-heading"><?=$title2?></div>

<div class="form">

<form action="contact.php" method="post">

<fieldset>

<legend>Name</legend>

<label for="firstname"<? if($era) { echo " class="form-error" title="$nofirstname""; } ?>>

First Name:

<input name="firstname" id="firstname" value="<?=$HTTP_POST_VARS[firstname]?>" />

</label>

<label for="lastname"<? if($erb) { echo " class="form-error" title="$nolastname""; } ?>>

Last Name:

<input name="lastname" id="lastname" value="<?=$HTTP_POST_VARS[lastname]?>" />

</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

<legend>Subject</legend>

<label for="subject">

Subject:

<input name="subject" id="subject" value="<?=$HTTP_POST_VARS[subject]?>" />

</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

<legend>Your Email Address</legend>

<label for="from"<? if($erc) { echo " class="form-error" title="$nofrom""; } elseif($erd) { echo " class="form-error" title="$wrongmail""; } ?>>

Email Address:

<input name="from" id="from" value="<?=$HTTP_POST_VARS[from]?>" />

</label>

</fieldset>

<fieldset>

<legend<? if($ere) { echo " class="form-error" title="$nomessage""; } ?>>Type your message here</legend>

<label for="message" id="message-label">

<span class="invisible"><input type="hidden" name="send" value="ok" /></span>

<textarea name="message" id="message" rows="10" cols="55"><?=$HTTP_POST_VARS[message]?></textarea>

<span class="form-buttons"><button type="submit" name=" Send Email ">Send Email</button>

<button type="reset" name=" Clear Form " onclick="LALink('LAcontact');">Clear Form</button></span>

</label>

</fieldset>

</form>

</div>

<?

}

if ($send == "ok") {

if ($firstname == "") {

$ok = "false";

$era = 1;

}

if ($lastname == "") {

$ok = "false";

$erb = 1;

}

if ($from == "") {

$ok = "false";

$erc = 1;

}

if ($from != "") {

if (!eregi( "^[_.0-9a-z-]+@([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]+.)+[a-z]{2,3}$", $from)) {

$erd = 1;

$ok = "false";

}

}

if ($message == ""){

$ok= "false";

$ere = 1;

}

if ($ok != "false"){

mail("$email", "$subject","$firstname $lastname wrote:n$messagenn---------nCame from host: $REMOTE_HOSTnIP Adress: $REMOTE_ADDRnEmail Address: $from", "From: $firstname $lastname <$from>nReply-To: $firstname $lastname <$from>nSender: $firstname $lastname <$from>");

ShowThanks($firstname, $lastname, $subject, $from, $message, $REMOTE_HOST, $REMOTE_ADDR);

}

elseif ($ok == "false") {

makeTheForm();

}

}

else {

makeTheForm();

}

include("footer.php");

?>

you mean like a "send me an email" page ???

do you have php running , coz I can right something pretty quickyl that will email something to you, if thats what you want.

Now your just showing off. :cheeky:

If you want to submit data through an online form then you need to expand your knowledge.

Basically, you can have a form which contains a field which is posted to a server of some sort. E.g. php or asp, or some other kind of server.

The html doc can have a form description

<form method="post" action="log.con" target="main" name="highlight" onmouseover="highlightButton('start')" onmouseout="highlightButton('end')">

and also a field

<input type="text" name="pacedate" size="12" value="<%=thedate %>">

In my code, I'm referencing theDate, giving it a value. When I generate the serve to the html page, it fills in the contents between the <% %>. After the form is posted (by some user action), the form values are available for the server to process.

So to make it this simple. You need a server as code if you want to do dynamic processing of html or processing of submitted forms.