Backing to a floppydive.

Pepse

OK, the problem I have is that I installed MDK 9.1 over 9.0 and I am not happy with the results of the Updating it did (I put 9.1 on a smaller harddrive to test and I am happy with it). It didn't include some of the software I seen on the 9.1 only hdd, so I want to format and put 9.1 on my big drive but I need to save my bookmarks and now since I updated 9.0 with 9.1 my Eroaster doesn't work and even before I upgraded my XCDroast was toast, and K3B? didn't get installed with the update. So I need someway to backup my bookmarks and I was wondering if there is a way to use the floppydrive to do it?? The rest of the stuff I ain't worried about as far as it goes. I got way too many bookmarks to hand write on paper. Anther thing the updating did was to kill my dialup connection to the point that the wizard couldn't bring it back. I even tried net_monitor and I get an error of something about " /etc/resolve.com ".

Pepse.

I am thankful I still have this little 4.3 G hdd with 9.0 on it.

There is no reason why you can't use the floppy drive, its just another form of removable media. I'm probably missing something obvious but why don't you just copy the file with your bookmarks to the floppy disk then later copy them back again? As long as the bookmarks file is less than 1.3MB it should work just as well as backing up to a network or CD.

The bookmarks for Konqueror as stored in the KDE settings directory in your home directory. I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I think the directory is called /home/<user>/.kde/ or /home/<user>/.kde3/. Just search around and you should find the file.

I installed the three-disk version of mdk 9.1 today (I've been using the two-disk "standard version) and what a difference!

No connect icon!

Could connect through mcc, but browser couldn't find anything, acted like there was no connection.

Suspect this is a permissions problem, but got fed up with fixing things, and reverted to the standard edition.

It works.

Good thing about the three-disk version is, no fooling around with nvidia 4496 drivers. install was trouble-free.

Well now here is the strange thing. I was able to copy my Mozilla bookmarks to a floppy after spending about 10 minutes of trying, but I did finally get it to copy. But then I realized I had some bookmarks in Galeon and once again I couldn't get it to copy to a floppy or a cdr. I couldn't even get it to copy my address' to a floppy or cdr, so in that case I just printed them out. On my last attempt to copy to a floppy or CDR I got an error of: " Couldn't save bookmarks in /mnt/floppy. Permission denied. " Got a similar error when trying to burn it on a CDR. The attempts before were to the degree of getting nothing to respond at all. I mean when I go to the "Save AS" wizard where this should it don't. A bit frustrating but I will try a few more ideas and then just format the drive and put 9.1 on clean. I feel some of my problems might be caused from "updating" 9.0. As for the internet connection I did some hacking and got it to work for now; or maybe longer.

Pepse.

Some people have had SUPERMOUNT problems with cdrom or floppy drives.

try disabling in mcc Mount Points, I use a program short name called kdf aka Kde? disk free to see my drive usage and right hand click to mount a floppy drive, then you should be able to copy to it ???

if you wanna disable supermount, forgo MCC & use the quick method....

open a terminal

su to root

supermount -i disable

(to disable supermount on all drives)

supermount -i enable

(to enable supermount on all drives)

Chris