Bluecurve for Mandrake?

grendal

I know I may be the only person in the world (besides those who developed it) who likes Redhats bluecurve. I'm currently using RH9 but want to switch back to Mandrake which I like better :) However I really like the default look of RH9, is there a way to get this theme to work on Mandrake 9.1? Or perhaps 9.2 when its out?

Also everyone of my family and friends love the screensavers in RH9 :lol: can they be installed on Mandrake? Im a newbie so Ill need to be lead by the hand a little on doing these things, if they are even possible.

One last item, is the supermount problem being fixed on 9.2? I haven't seen anyone mention it and was just wondering. I know when I tried to install some games on mdk it drove me nuts until I figured out how to turn it off. As a non programer it seems like they would fix that easily so it works proerly, But I'm not a programer nor do I play one on TV, so it may be a bigger hassle than just turning it off.

Anyways thanks in advance as I know the answers are out there and Please don't hate me because I like the bluecurve. :?

Bluecurve? Just save /usr/share/themes/Bluecurve and /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve.

You can just uninstall mandrakes xscrensaver and xscreensaver-gl (or something) with

rpm -e --nodeps pkg_name

and replace with RH9's xscreensaver rpms.

Supermount? Don't count on it. If you have probs with it in 9.1 there's a very good chance you will in 9.2. It has been buggy since birth, though I've never had any prob with it. Every release people say it's fixed, and it's not, so you basically have to wait and see for yourself.

In a word: texstar

To make it easier for you and me, texstar created a bunch of mandrake rpms that is very functional and cutting edge (compared to stock mandrake 9.1 that is). It includes a freeer version of bluecurve named freecurve and with kde 3.1.3 and xscreensaver-gl rpms installed, you will have a whole bunch of screensaver available for your kde.

Goto http://www.pclinuxonline.com for more info. In order to put texstar mirror to your urpmi source repository go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon

You probably need a big bandwidth in order to download the goodies texstar gives you however :)

Actually if you're as picky as me when it comes to graphics/eyecandy copy from RH.Texstar's looks diff (not icons)....I d/k who/how/why but it is (copyright/hack? I d/k).....not much to the untrained eye....but I can tell and think RH's looks better. Rename one Blue and load both and you'll see. Maybe this has changed because what I say is based on 6mths ago or so.

Ok Thanks, Ill try both methods. a few of questions though:

1. how do I load the xscreensavers from rh9? Do I load them from one of the discs? I didn't know you clould load from rh to mdk.

2. Do I need to delete the old screensavers first?

3. Would it be possible to download freecurve from texstar on a windows machine? Im on dialup at home and broadband here at work, which is windows. Or would that run into dependcy hell?? :(

4. Are the RH9 themes for gnome or kde or both? I like both so any option is ok, I know rh9 default is gnome, while mdk is 9.1.

As a newbie I just want to cover my bases. Thanks again, this place rocks!! :lol:

In my experience supermount tends to work every other release, unfortunately it works in 9.1 :wink:

1. To load the RH screensavers you'd just install the rpm

# rpm -Uvh redhat-screensaver.rpm

Are they actually that different from the Mandrake ones? I thought they were just Xscreensaver ones?

2. bvc already told you how to do that

>rpm -e --nodeps pkg_name

3. Of course thats ok, you're downloading a binary package.

4. Bluecurve is strictly a unified desktop, the idea is that you can't really tell the difference between bluecurve gnome or kde.

Hope this helps,