Multipart tar file creation

Guest hitokiri

Guest hitokiri

Hello all.

I need a little help. I am extremely new to this whole linux world.

Quick breakdown of the pain i am going through.

Globat.com is now giving a 10meg file upload limit and out of nowhere, no longer accepts multipart rar files. They are pushing for multipart tars.

They also have not done anything to help explain how thats done. So it seems they are doing anything they can to not have people upload multipart files. I wont be beat though :) I installed ubuntu on an old laptop.

However, I have no clue how to make these files.

I have a 300 meg file that i need to break down to 9 meg chunks.

Can someone please explain how to do this? Im sorry if this is a noob question...but take me for what I am at this. An extreme noob! :)

Any help is appreciated.

I tried to reply to this earlier today but I just kept getting blank pages on preview and submit - but it seems to be fixed now :thumbs:

Yes you can use the split command from the command line, to get numbered files. It's the first entry I wrote on my hints and tips page. You will need to give the receiver instructions on how to put them back together again, and depending on what platform they're using it might be easier or more difficult.

Plus, if global.com have a problem with what you're trying to upload (and I'm guessing that if it's a 300MB Rar file then they might have good reason to), then they'll just stop you uploading multi-part tar files too. Maybe you should look at alternative distribution methods?