cdrom, floppy no longer there...

Guest bhrich902

Guest bhrich902

k, so last night i ran urpmi --auto-select and upgraded outdated stuff including kde and other packages in the system. today, the floppy nor the cdrom are there. they r recognized cause i can c the contents of a cd when navigating through konqueror. i created a link on the desktop to both devices but only the cdrom one works, the floppy says i don't have access or there's no dev entry. i went to control center and unmounted and mounted those devices in the desktop and nothing. solutions??? thx...

mandrake 9.1

when you upgraded KDE, did you by any chance use Texstar's upgrade rpm? (either KDE3.1.2 or 3.1.3) if so, the missing icons are by design, per Tex. here's the solution to the problem, per his web site:

Click on Control Center -> Look and Feel -> Behavior.

Uncheck the Display devices on the desktop.

Click Apply

Now right click on your desktop.

Link to location (URL)

Name : Floppy

URL: /mnt/floppy

Do the same for CDROM

Link to location (URL)

Name: CDrom

URL: /mnt/cdrom

After the links appear on your desktop you can right click them -> select properties and click on the icon button to assign an icon for each.

KDE does not delete anything on your /mnt directory. The reason the floppy and cdrom shows locked is because there is no media in the drives. If you put some media in the drives the unlock goes off.

it occurs if you had supermount enabled. those instructions should get your icons back. as a side note, i've found it makes things easier to disable supermount. there's less cdrom related problems, especially concerning cd burning.

if the above doesn't help, please post back. either i, or somebody else will walk you through things.

Chris

Guest bhrich902

k, i did what u said with the links before and didn't work, except that i tried it with unchecking them in the control center like u mentioned and it did work. i didn't uncheck them before because it seems logical to keep them checked, weird though. thx for the tip.

ps. how do i disable supermount? im expecting a cdr soon and i don't want to run into the same when i run k3b.

how to disable supermount.......

there's several ways to go about it (as is usually the case in Linux

:wink: ). here's 2 simplified methods.

1. manually edit your fstab file. you can find fstab in the /etc directory (/etc/fstab). it's only a text file, so if you're running KDE & you click on it KEdit should open it by default. you can also right click it & open it with a text editor of your own choice. once opened look for lines that look like this.

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

in front of each instance of the word "none", simply put a #. so, for instance, a line would look like this.

#none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

you don't really need to do that for your floppy if you don't want to, since yer probably never gonna need to use your floppy drive in a cd burning situation. it's up to you.

save the file with the changes you made.

noteonce you disable supermount, whenever you insert a data disk, you must first right click on the corresponding drive icon & select "mount" to be able to access the data. before you can eject the disk, you must right click again & select "unmount". you will still be able to play music cd's as you normally would. (IE: no "mount/unmount" needed for a music cd)

2. open terminal, su to root, & issue the following command:

supermount -i disable

that will disable all instances of supermount, so that's why i showed you the fstab method if you want to keep supermount for your floppy. using that same method, if you'd want to enable supermount, simply do....

supermount -i enable

now, about K3b.....

if you're gonna use that for cd burning, there's another issue to tackle. if either of your cdrom drives are ide, you must enable scsi emulation for K3b to work properly. here's how you'd do that if you're using Lilo as your boot loader. if you're using Grub then somebody else will have to guide you 'cause i've only ever done this with Lilo. (though i'd think it's a very similar procedure).....

1. open your lilo.conf. that's also in your /etc directory & it's also a text file, so you can open it with the same method you used for editing the fstab.

2. find a line that looks like this:

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

that's from my lilo.conf file. hdb & hdc are my cdrom & cdburner, respectively. if either of your cd drives are ide, you must add an entry in the "append" section of your lilo.conf to reflect scsi emulation. so, for each drive, between where the word "mount" ends & "acpi" begins in the above example, you'd simply type:

hdX=ide-scsi

(where X is to be substituted with the letter for your own cd drive)

3. save the file with the changes you made.

4. finally, for this to take effect, you must open a terminal, su to root, then type....

lilo -v

then hit "enter"

exit terminal & reboot. (yes, you must reboot for this to take effect)

and, lastly, here's a few tutorials on how to properly set up K3b.

an excellent tute can be found here .

and, here's another one from the forum faq's K3b how to .

hope this all helps you out.

Chris