FTP server issue...

T0ken

Let me explain my home setup. I have a desktop running Mandriva 2009.1 RC1, a laptop running Mandriva 2009.1 RC1, and a server running Mandriva 2009.0 with no GUI, only webmin installed to administer the services.

Anyways, everytime I want to FTP to my server, I'm able to get connected, but it doesn't allow me to see any folders. For example, I log in with the username "andre", and it takes me to the home folder of the user "andre," but I can't view any folders within that folder.

Only after ssh'ing into the server and running the following, am I able to view the folders under /home/andre:

chmod -R 777 /home/andre

And the thing is, I have to do this EVERYTIME I ftp to the server, in order to view the folders. Any ideas on why this is happening?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Are you sure that the user "andre" has access to this folder? Doing the chmod 777 is leaving it read/write world writable meaning any user that connects can access this. If this is not a problem, then you can leave like this, however, I'd be tempted to do:

chmod -R andre:andre /home/andre

and that will ensure that all files and folders for this directory are owned by andre. This means only he will see them. I would expect that some job by Mandriva resets the file permissions and I remember it doing this before, just can't remember the job, and is possibly why it's reset from world writable to make it more secure. This will be a part of the security level you chose during installation that takes care of this.

Also, any files placed in this folder other than by andre, eg: another user, you'll need to chown to andre again so that he has full access to them. The chmod 777 is extreme, but it will fix in the event of all cases, so it explains that this is purely a permissions problem and I expect andre doesn't own the files and folders, which is why he doesn't see anything.