Graphics problems on laptop

On my wife's laptop I have installed Mandriva 2008 and 2009. 2008 works perfectly, but every time you boot/reboot 2009 you get a scrambled graphics image that looks like it is being viewed through some particularly irritating filter. This does not occur up to and including the log in screen, but after that the screen is pixellated and horrible to look at. Normally you would expect this to be a problem with xorg.conf, but I know it isn't, because if I restart the X server then the screen returns to normal - now xorg hasn't changed because of an X server restart, but what you see has, so wihih?

Since 2008 is perfect, I tried copying xorg.conf from there to 2009, but it makes no difference. I can't think of a way around this at the moment, can you?

Incidentally, it is an ATI graphics card using the fglrx driver, and I have tried 'aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf' and that doesn't make any difference either.

Any ideas?