OpenOffice1.1(rc5) question.......

chris z

hey all,

i've been using OOo1.1(rc5) at work (on a Win2K machine :cry: ) & found it to be very stable & bug free. i want to give it a whirl in my MDK machine at home. (i'm currently using OOo1.0 on MDK) i have 2 questions before i take the plunge........

1. if any of you are using this version of OOo on MDK, are there any bug or stability issues that you've come across that i should be aware of?

2. is it necessary to uninstall OOo1.0 before installing OOo1.1, or will the newer version just overwrite the old version?

TIA,

Chris

{bump}

anybody???

Chris

As far as I know, Mandrake doesn't have RC5 rpms yet.. not even in cooker. But I think you can use the tarballs without any huge problems. You probably need to uninstall the previous openoffice first, just to be safe. And of course the icons and menus would not appear in kde/gnome start menu in mandrake, but you can copy the menus from /.kde/share/applnk to /.kde/share/applnk-mdk, restart kde, then it should appear.

Note that I haven't tried it myself but I did try that method with RC2 and it doesn't have any bugs. RC5 should be a lot better I think.

thanks for the info.......

that was my plan (to use the .tar.gz file from OOo). just wasn't sure about the uninstall first, because they (OOo) don't mention anything about that in the install docs.

here's what it says on the OOo site about KDE/Gnome integration using the .tar file.

If you use GNOME or KDE (provided your distro keeps the KDE user files in ~/.kde2), you will find that OpenOffice.org 1.1 is fully integrated in your environment.

by the way that's worded, i was assuming that the icons & such would be integrated into those 2 DE's. maybe i'm wrong, though. :? if so, it's easy enough for me to add those things after the fact.

i think i'll download it tonight & install it over the weekend. that will give me more time to screw with things if i need to.

thanks again for the input,

Chris

as far as i know the tar.gz would be source .... which will take a very long time to compile (7hrs for rc4) i think you should be looking for OOo's binary installer which is already precompiled.

edit: my bad their binary is tarballed too...sorry so used to compiling it (or not) that i have not looked at the binary for some time.

yep........like was mentioned above, the binaries are .tar'd, so it's all good (IE: no eternal compilation).....

You can install versions side by side. I've usually got one the official stable releases and a developers release installed.

I'd get rid of 1.0, anway. 1.1rcs are much better.

i might just do that to make sure everything is running smooth with rc5, then get rid of 1.0. it's been running like a charm on the Win machine at work. just wanted some input from the Linux end.

thanks for all the suggestions & info!

Chris

just an update, for anyone who might care..........

installed OOo1.1rc5 from the .tar yesterday. tested it out thoroughly. it's running fine, no problems, & is a helluva lot faster than 1.0.2. once i migrated user settings over from 1.0.2 to 1.1rc5, i uninstalled the old version & cleaned up residual leftovers. all of my Kicker shortcuts have been linked to rc5 & i'm lovin' it! so, if anybody was thinking of taking the plunge into this build, go for it. you shouldn't have any problems. (shouldn't......... :roll: )

Chris