how to backup your installed software?

tux_man

i found a program called aptoncd but unfortunality it's for ubuntu distro only or debian based distro's this tool makes you able to copy all or some of your installed pkg's which you downloaded frome the repositaries so if you reinstalled your distro again you dont need to install it again from the repositories all what you h'v to do is backing up the pkg's from the cd or image file which you created with this tool

so, is there is any equale program like this but for mdv ? ..ihope

I don't know of a tool but I know how to do it manually. Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and make the top look like this:

{
 post-clean: 0
}

From now on any package urpmi downloads (either using the GUI (rpmdrake) or the CLI) will be saved to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms.

Now before an reinstallation backup the folder /var/cache/urpmi/rpms, then after the reinstall set up the online repositories as usual then put the rpms folder back in the same place as the old system (in /var/cache/urpmi/), and update your system, any package in the cache won't be downloaded again.

(Don't forget to edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg in the new system to save new packages too).