Player for RM files [solved, sort of]

payasam

I received a small file with the RM extension. Downloaded the Real Player 10 RPM and installed. All seemed to go well, but the program did not run. When I tried to remove it with rpm -e, I got a "not installed" message, and when I tried to re-install, I got an "already installed" message. The Devil and Deep Sea story. A friend told me of Helix Player, which I pulled in through MCC. It too does not run.

Edited by payasam

totem or mplayer should be able to play rm files, at least they do it as firefox/seamonkey plugins.

With regards to the rpm package problem, try doing

rpm -ql <package name>

to see what files it should have installed and then check if those files really exist on your filesystem, or also try

rpm -V <package name>
(verify).

Thank you, tux99 and Greg2. I now have things moving, after a fashion. Without my having done anything, Helix Player started running. However, it refused to play the RM file, saying that Real Player would do that. I downloaded the RP 11 RPM (the earlier one was BIN file, I said RPM by mistake), which was installed after a dependency was satisfied. It played the RM file all right, as well as other formats. Helix Player still does not play WMV and AVI files.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.