Desktop type

payasam

I'm not sure, but I think Mandriva have compiz by default (shadows etc.).

Metacity is Gnome original window decoration, by running;

metacity --replace

you'll switch compiz out with metacity.

You can reverse it by;

compiz --replace

If you want it gui, to switch it on and off, you can use fusion-icon.

For KDE users it's kwin --replace instead.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Thank you, AI. I understand and will give it a go.

That's right, tyme: the names under the icons.

Thank you, Yves. If the metacity trick does not work, I'll go to drak3D.

[No luck] metacity --replace appears to have done nothing but hang all the applications running so that I had to do a hard re-boot, and turning off 3D effects in drak3D made no difference.

Edited by payasam

AFAIK, the text under icons on the desktop has nothing to do with 3D effects. Likely, the appearance of the text is part of the desktop theme, so you might need to try other themes. I'am running Baghira for KDE and kinda like shadowed text on the desktop:-) But then, it's easy to turn it off.

Coverup, suit yourself. For me, having to look at shadowed text all the time is a major Problem.

I was just saying that because I like the shadowed text on the desktop, I found a way to customize the theme I use to add this feature. So you should be able to find a way to customize your theme to turn it off, or switch to some other theme.

I am on the only theme I like, Coverup, but I haven't yet found a way to customise it exactly to my taste. It is eminently reasonable to suppose that if you could add shadowed type, I can remove that [sorry] abomination. Obviously I haven't looked hard enough. Thank you for pointing me in what may well be the right direction.

payasam - I'm not sure if it's removable, but it's certainly not a 3d desktop thing. It's a Nautilus setting, most likely - I would check in the GNOME Configuration Editor (which is a pain to navigate). Sorry I don't have specifics.

Edited by tyme