dual-core processors

Linux has been supporting multiple cpus (dual cores mean basically 2 cpus in one chip) since the early days, I had a dual Pentium 233Mhz MMX PC in the '90s that was perfect with Linux, at that time the normal desktop Windows (95 or 98 didn't support more than one cpu at all).

Basically don't worry, dual-cores work better with Linux than with Windows as more programs for Linux are properly multithreaded.

You should rather make sure the integrated graphics works well with Linux, I would avoid AMD/ATI especially on a laptop, best is Intel (assuming you are not a hard core gamer), second choice would be Nvidia.

Aloha tux99

I am looking at a HP G60-230US 16" Widescreen Notebook Computer With Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4200

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8176...creen-Notebook/

with: video graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with up to 1309MB shared memory

kili

I'd be careful about laptops that use shared memory for the video cards. They take a chunk of your physical ram in your machine. I tend to avoid them. My wife's laptop is an Acer, and had 1GB of ram, but when the video card took 128MB, you're then left with a lot less for the system. Go for one that has dedicated ram for the video card, than one that shares the main system ram.

Ian, you are right with 1GB RAM, but this laptop seems to have 3GB so I wouldn't worry about it, even if the graphics card takes away 1GB (and it won't normally), the 2GB left are still more than plenty with Linux!

Of course dedicated RAM is better, but usually also more expensive.

kili, the laptop hardware specs sound ok, it's impossible to say if all the hardware is 100% supported by Linux (but you can never be sure with any, unless you know from someone who has already tested it), but it doesn't ring any obvious alarm bells to me.

Mandriva on a dual core runs like a dream. I have a Dual Core Clevo (badged evesham) with 1.5Gb of ram running 2009 with KDE4-4.2.0, Compiz turned on, Emerald too and I can't fault the performance so far.

Mandriva on a dual core runs like a dream. I have a Dual Core Clevo (badged evesham) with 1.5Gb of ram running 2009 with KDE4-4.2.0, Compiz turned on, Emerald too and I can't fault the performance so far.

So do I ...1,5Gb ram, 1,73GHz Intel Pentium Dual core, running 2009. too and using KDE 4 and Gnome, compiz and works perfectly fine....mine is an inspiron 640m, 256Mb video intel 945GM and I think (and feels that way) linux works better with my notebook than windows